Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2K Pro - reboot loop

• Please log in to reply

Jezzaaa

Jezzaaa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I installed a new graphics card, which Windows 2K did not detect on bootup. Having googled a bit, I concluded I needed to disable the graphics chip on the motherboard, which I attempted to do by disabling the 'VGA display adapter' in the hardware control panel.

On doing this, the machine now will not finish booting - it gets to the point where the desktop is about to appear, then reboots and starts booting completely from fresh.

I managed to get the new graphics card to work by disabling the onboard graphics in CMOS, but it will still not boot.

Suggestions?

Edited by Jezzaaa, 02 June 2006 - 11:23 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it will boot to safe mode, enable the VGA display in device manager and reboot

Jezzaaa

Jezzaaa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

If it will boot to safe mode, enable the VGA display in device manager and reboot

Okay - tried this, no joy. It gets to the 'Starting Windows 2000' progress bar, which finishes. It then sits there for ~10s, then reboots in an never-ending loop.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if enabling the onboard graphics gets you into windows, then you can enable the VGA display

Jezzaaa

Jezzaaa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

See if enabling the onboard graphics gets you into windows, then you can enable the VGA display

The problem began before I disabled the onboard graphics in the BIOS - I disabled the VGA controller in windows in an attempt to get it to recognise the new graphics card, but instead it booted up with the display only visible with the monitor plugged in to the onboard graphics, then began the rebooting loop.

Disabling onboard graphics in the BIOS means the display now apppears with the monitor plugged into the new card, but the looping continues.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is probably quickest now

http://www.microsoft...dc_rec_ztkn.asp