Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wifi can't connect

• Please log in to reply

cygnusx197

cygnusx197

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just bought a trendnet TEW-424UB 11g usb 2.0 adapter for my computer and I can't get it to connect to my router.

Basically, I'm using win XP.
I installed the wireless config util that came on a cd with the adapter.
It disables the wireless zero service and uses it's own.
Then I plugged the adapter into my 1.x usb port.

I've made it easy on myself while troubleshooting and disabled wep, enabled dhcp and ssid broadcast and am not mac filtering on the router.

When I boot sometimes (not always) I can see other routers in my area for under a minute, then it drops me and the config util sits there and scans all the channels. I was able to see that I'm getting between 20 and 100% signal strength.

I've tried disabling the util, enabling wireless zero and letting windows manage the device.
I haven't been able to reboot and see the router using windows. I get nothing.

I know the signal is strong enough, because I'm using my laptop right beside the desktop to type this.

I can't tell what else to try and can't say if the adapter is defective or if it's windows, or some service conflict.

Any ideas guys?

Advertisements

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Are u using service pack 2? I have had this same problem and Once I upgraded to 2 it was fine and also is your router brodecasting its ssid? I would also suggest that you let the software that came with the device mange your wireless connections. Are you seeing the new device under network adapters? If so does windows show the device is working properly. Also you try winsock Xp Fix http://www.spychecke...nsockxpfix.html Hope this helps

Tom

Edited by Hawaiantom, 03 June 2006 - 05:25 AM.

cygnusx197

cygnusx197

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Tom.
I am broadcasting ssid, using SP2 and letting the trendnet software manage the connection.

It doesn't make any sense that I sometimes have a strong signal strength for 30 seconds after booting, and then nothing. I can't even see my neighbors when that happens which means either the device is defective or there's a windows services conflict.

I'll try that winsock xp fix when I get some blank cds.

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Yea try the Winsock fix if that does not do it. I would have to say that the device is bad. Winsock will fix what could be holding your computer up.

cygnusx197

cygnusx197

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've found a bunch of discussions that suggest that these devices are a POS and suffer from intermittent connectivity as mine does.

Buyer Beware.