Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

harddrive not reading

• Please log in to reply

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
ive got a WD200 (20gb) hard drive and when i plug it in the computer it doesnt read, i doesnt even sound like its spinning. its jumpers are set to slave, yet it doesnt even read it, not even in the bios.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If it is not spinning start with checking the power connection.

miiko

miiko

• Pip
  • 3 posts

ive got a WD200 (20gb) hard drive and when i plug it in the computer it doesnt read, i doesnt even sound like its spinning. its jumpers are set to slave, yet it doesnt even read it, not even in the bios.

I have this problem too >.<

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
What austin said, also, what are your specs? you might not have a powerful enough psu...also, some hds have a wierd thing with what ide setting they're on, but if it has power it will spin (if its not broken of course) so I would test it in a friends computer or have a local computer repair shop test it, if your a customer they'll do it for free and usually if your not as well.
good luck!
Nixx

miiko

miiko

• Pip
  • 3 posts

What austin said, also, what are your specs? you might not have a powerful enough psu...also, some hds have a wierd thing with what ide setting they're on, but if it has power it will spin (if its not broken of course) so I would test it in a friends computer or have a local computer repair shop test it, if your a customer they'll do it for free and usually if your not as well.
good luck!
Nixx

Mine used to work fine..but I don't know what changed, it sounds like its on. A message comes up saying it would run faster on another usb port but it used to do this but still work. In MY COMPUTER the harddrive disk isnt shown..same on the hard disk management. Sometimes it says theres no problem with it yet still dosnt play, sometimes it will show a yellow exclamation mark and say there are problems. Next weekend I'll be able to check on my boyfriends computer, somehow I don't expect any luck though ^^;Nearly everything is on this hard drive so I want it to work with my comp again T.T

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Are you saying that this drive at one time was a master or slave on a IDE connection in a computer and now is in a external USB enclosure? Sometimes enclosures like the drive to be set as master instead of cable select, or slave. Can you install the drive back on a ide connection and see the drive?

If nothing else you might try using a data recovery program to try recovering the files. I have not tried this one yet so i can't vouch for it.

http://www.pcinspect.../uk/welcome.htm

After losing some very important data years ago, by have a backup hard drive go bad, I never depend on HD's for backups. I use cd's and dvd's for important information i can't afford to lose.

SRX660

miiko

miiko

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Are you saying that this drive at one time was a master or slave on a IDE connection in a computer and now is in a external USB enclosure? Sometimes enclosures like the drive to be set as master instead of cable select, or slave. Can you install the drive back on a ide connection and see the drive?

If nothing else you might try using a data recovery program to try recovering the files. I have not tried this one yet so i can't vouch for it.

http://www.pcinspect.../uk/welcome.htm

After losing some very important data years ago, by have a backup hard drive go bad, I never depend on HD's for backups. I use cd's and dvd's for important information i can't afford to lose.

SRX660

Sorry but I'm kinda young..dunno so much pro stuff about computerss ><
Whats IDE connection? and how do you set them as master or slave? O.o
Sorry to be a pain in the [bleep] :whistling: