Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

275W PSU + X800XL or X1600XT

• Please log in to reply

dango111

dango111

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I've been looking around for a decent gfx card, but I've just found out that my xc-cube only has a 275W PSU. Can I run a X800XL or X1600XT with this PSU? If not, what are my options?

btw, I've decided not to wait for dx10 :whistling:

Thanks, Dango

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You could possibly get by on that wattage depending on what other hardware you have in the computer. It is close to the edge so you could start having the computer turn off in the middle of doing something when the PS hits its limit. I replaced the PS in my aspire X Q-pack with a thermotake 430 watt PS after it started just turning off while playing a game. The thermotake fit in my case nicely.

SRX660

dango111

dango111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
THanks SRX660. Doesn't the Q-pack come with a standard 400W PSU? Also, I think your case is a tad bigger than mine ;-)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, aspire says the PS is 420 watts. After experiencing problems i went looking on the net for a fix. I found the johnny guru website that explained that testing the aspire PS proved its really only good to around 270 watts.

http://www.jonnyguru...Qpack/420W.html

SRX660