Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with administrating a user account

• Please log in to reply

mcsmc

mcsmc

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have multiple users on my computer. Some are "Limited Users" (I'm using Windows XP Professional SP2). When I recently purchased a game controller for use with a SNES emulation program, it installed and worked just fine on my (an administrator) account. However, it refuses to work on a Limited User (LU) account. The following error messages occur on the LU account when the user logs onto it:

Error - You do not have rights to access the Service Control Manager and the MARKFUN driver is not installed or started. Please ask your administrator to install the driver on your behalf.

Error - MarkFun_Load_NT_Driver

However, I don't know how to install the driver on their behalf. Please help?

Also, if anyone can recommend a source (preferably free) for learning how to manage everything concerning limited user accounts, it would be appreciated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Hold the SHIFT key down and RIGHT CLICK the setup file for the device driver, choose RUN AS

now insert the name and password of an admin account....you shoudl be able to install the driver ow

mcsmc

mcsmc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Hold the SHIFT key down and RIGHT CLICK the setup file for the device driver, choose RUN AS

now insert the name and password of an admin account....you shoudl be able to install the driver ow

I know the Run As trick, but I'm not sure WHAT to "Run As". I installed the drivers/"profiler" program from a CD that came with the game controller device (Logitech Dual Action is the controller, by the way) with an account with administrative priveleges. However, when I try to run the "profiler" program under the limited user account, even using Run As and an administrator account, NOTHING happens at all. Nothing pops up, no error messages, nothing. The error messages I posted in my original post in this thread show up strictly on initially logging in on the limited user account. So, I'm still at a loss...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what is the controller you have? What is the emulator?

mcsmc

mcsmc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

what is the controller you have? What is the emulator?

Controller is:

Logitech Dual Action (http://www.logitech....,CONTENTID=6951)

Emulator is:

Snes9X v1.42 for Windows (http://www.snes9x.com)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it seems the first error

Error - MarkFun_Load_NT_Driver

is related to a gigabyte utility used to monitor your motherboard. My guess is the utility is designed to open on all users, and it will not work with this user

Please provide a hijackthis log so I can see what is going on at startup

Please ATTACH the log report, rather than post it