Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

svchost.exe using 100+mb memory

• Please log in to reply

Alex McLean

Alex McLean

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I swich on my pc svchost.exe is running several times. Two of these use more and more memory until they are using 100-300mb each. They also have very high cpu usage. When I close them, the computer is fine for about 30 seconds, then all the styling changes to windows clasic, and the option to change to windows xp styling is removed from display properties. I have run norton virus scan, but it found nothing. This problem is also on our other computer.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Read this about the svchost.exe file if you wish. You might try going to Start>Run and typing in msconfig, then click OK, Startup tab to see how many processes you have running after bootup (post number). Try unclicking the boxes on the ones you sure you can do without to see if this helps. Reboot as instructed. Check the box on the dialog window that shows after restart. See if you have same "problem".

For a better handle on malware removal, see this forum's Malware Section. Please read and follow the instructions given on that page. Post back here if instructed to do so. Be patient as that is a very busy section of this forum, but they will get to your post.

Ron