Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My BIOS doesn't see my Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

fcortes

fcortes

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've been working on this computer for a while. It's a 5 year old hp pavilion xt928. I was supposed to do a system recovery and get it back to his owner. now I did the recovery using the partition the hd came with, i got the windows running i was working on the windows updates, i installed the antivirus and things were going normal, then when i came back. there was a black screen with a cursor at the top mostleft corner... something was really wrong.. I reboot, but the computer wouldnt start.. i waited for a while tried that again.. it came back on (finally rebooted) and the a blue screen with a stop message that said this:
kernel_data_inpage_error
STOP: 0x0000007A (0x0000007A (0xE11C6358, 0xc000000e, 0xBF8C6F2E, 0x15C34860)

Win32k.sys - Address BF8C6F2E base at BF800000, date stamp 3b5ee2e6

I talked to an expert online from hp, and the guy mentioned i need to do a system recovery again but i needed to use the recovery cds not the partition (i needed to order the cds because there was no cd for system recovery it is supposed to be done from the partition on the hard drive)... i waited for a few days... then i decieded to give it another try... I turn the computer on got the recovery consule back up.. i was going thru the system recovery process once agian and then without having that finalized bang!!! another blue screen the message above.. i need to mention. I was doing a low level recovery... i was formatting the whole thing to put everything back on... so in the middle of this process after there no OS i got the blue screen for the second time.. I decided on troubleshoooting the issue, i took some memory modules because i though memory has to do something with it memory turns out to be working fine... then after trying to get the recovery consule back up agian.. i was not even able to do that... turns out i had no hard drive anymore..BIOS was not showing a hard drive.. to make the story short.. i try to reseat the connections on the hard drive.. i tried another drive to see if it was the connextion or the motherboard but other hd was recognized with no problem and i even took it to a repair shop for them to test the [bleep] hd.. they told me it was death.. then I came back after gettitng an enclusure unit (i need to get one for my self to use an internal dvd burner and make it external so i deceded to try the hard drive thru a usb port connected to my own laptop toshiba computer.. turned out the [bleep] computer did saw the hard drive.. but it was acting weird like it was there and not.. i would see the content but my computer would halt for a while... now i dont know what to do.. is it the hard drive.. is there something else?? last time I talked to someone at hp they mentioned i should try to format the hd (fujitsu is the brand, I searched around and i believe is not a good one) and i'm not completely sure where to go with this hd.. i dont want this friend of mine to spend 74 canandians on stupid 40 gig hd... but I'm running out of altenatives.. now.. if it's not the hd.. what else could've caused a failure like this in the middle on a system recovery.. the computer did the recovery the fist time fine.. without any inconvinience... could it be the fact that is 5 years old and the recovery process was probably too much for it to handle??
any suggestions would be highly appreciated...
Thanks
PD. I tried chckdsk /r while the hd was connected to my computer thru run> cmd (and got an "unspecified error occured" message at the 3/5 stages) It has got to be the mf hd. doesn't it? but some how it feels It may not be.. now I'm just a freaking cheap [bleep] but i feel like i completely mess it up for doing a simple system recovery, that's why I'm not willing to give up just yet on the hard drive.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Your HD is dying so it is time to replace it. A seagate 40 G drive can be bought in the stated for $40. Your price is pretty high considering that the canadian dollar is worth $1.10US. You might see if this company will ship to canada. I have bought from them with no problems. You might as well get a larger drive because the cost is the same.

http://www.pcdirect....ku=HDWD800BB-RC

The only thing to worry about is that the recovery CD may not work with a different drive in the computer.

SRX660

fcortes

fcortes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Srx66x

hey thanks for getting back to me on this!!!...
1. I tried again today.. I tried to use the recover cd set that i got but same thing happened.. and right after that the hd stopped being recognized! so it's gotta be hardware that's for sure!

2. I'm going to get some memory just to see if it's that, i've been reading on the stop error and It may that... the HD stops being recognized right after the blue screen with the error on itr. When I put the hd back in today the BIOS saw it, like nothing so i tried to do system recovery from the the recovery cd set and i got the screen and after that no more hd seing but BIOS... that's kind of weird

3. I'm going to try with some memory, I'll get a module (i need one for future testing so I guess that expense is acceptable)

4. I had already check with HP tech people about getting a HD since current is sort of dying and they sd that woudnt be a problem, they mentioned that if the motherboard hasnt been changed it should be ok using the recovery cd set... so let's hope they're right

thanks again for your response

fcortes

fcortes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
News:
It was the HD... duhhhh to myself... Well the only think i can (in my own defense... which is technically not defense at all) say is that I learnd a whole bunch of stuff which makes the troubleshooting process and time totally worth it