Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN Icons and Network Connections GONE

• Please log in to reply

proscale

proscale

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys,

Normally your previous threads sort out my issues, but came across something that has completely stumped me. Gonna try to be as detailed as possible so bear with me

OS - win Xp home sp2

I ran across a site today which actually successfully managed to exploit my IE and get BOAT loads of Adwares installed on my PC, my normal process count of 31-35 reached 80+ main ones being clkoptimiser and look2me

I managed to get pc in safe mode, ran spysweeper, adware, hjt couple of system restores later, no extra processess running and all startup keys and programs have been removed.

HOWEVER after running all this, when I turned pc back on I CANNOT GET LAN / WIRELESS CONN icons back under network connections, have tried all steps i found on google, when I first turned it on, few services ( telephony, network conn awareness etc were stopped and I restarted)
DEvice manager shows no conflict and recognises the network adapters.

I have no idea what to do, PC otherwise works fine, but neither can I see any network conn's nor can i create any, initially it gave win error 711 when i tried to create but after starting services there was no error or anything it just sits there with blank folder index staring at me.

I very much doubt this is a hardware problem given the circumstances, am sitting ready to format and reinstall. any help would be appreciated.

Parag

Advertisements

proscale

proscale

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys, took 4 hours, but finally found a solution, turns out some of the malwares reg key entries messed up the tcpip

following instructions on this page sorted it out

http://support.micro....com/kb/269019/

if anyone is having same problems i would suggest trying those steps first