Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install East Asian language files(XP)

• Please log in to reply

sibsala

sibsala

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have XP professional, with SP2 installed. I'm trying to install East Asian language files so that I can type Japanese characters, but every time I try it demands the Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD. Problem is, I don't have a CD like that. It also says I can copy the files from an alternate location, but I don't know where I should look. I've been browsing the microsoft site for hours and tried looking for solutions with google, but it seems I'm the only one having this problem. Help, please?

Edited by sibsala, 04 June 2006 - 09:46 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it an XP SP1 CD you have

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Microsoft has a CD here: Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD

Eastern Asian Files:

Installing East Asian Language Support

HTHs.

Ron

sibsala

sibsala

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Is it an XP SP1 CD you have

Huh? I don't have any CD's, but I should have both service packs installed.

Microsoft has a CD here: Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD

But all it does is tell me to get it from windows update, and as I said, I already have it installed.

Eastern Asian Files:

Installing East Asian Language Support

HTHs.

Ron

I've done all that. When I click on "Install files for East Asian languages", it asks me to insert a Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD. According to a tutorial at microsoft.com (found here: http://www.microsoft....mspx?mfr=true)
the computer should ask me for the Windows CD-ROM, but when it comes to me it wants the SP2 CD... I don't know where I should copy those files from...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will need an XP CD, can you borrow and XP SP2 CD

sibsala

sibsala

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

You will need an XP CD, can you borrow and XP SP2 CD

Oh no, finding someone to borrow the SP2 CD from could take ages... Maybe it would work if I uninstalled the SP2, installed the language files, and then re-installed the SP2 again? Maybe it would ask for the XP CD then, which I have, not the SP 2? Or would it just mess things up?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts

Huh? I don't have any CD's, but I should have both service packs installed.

If you have an XP CD you could run a repair install and add the files in regional options during the install, click all the tabs and sub tabs when it gets to regional options, click applay on each tab before moving to the next one

A repair install is the better way of removing SP2 from an SP1 with SP2 added install

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

sibsala

sibsala

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Just thought to let you know that it works now. Thanks :whistling:

BlutoniumBoy

BlutoniumBoy

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I would say, if you need an XP SP2 cd. Create one by slipstreaming the one you have with SP2. For any future endeavors, of course :whistling: