Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What CPU HSF to get ?

• Please log in to reply

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Hello,

I have been faced with the concept that its time to upgrade my CPU Heatsink and Fan.

My current one is a stock( :blink: ) and sounds like a small rocket which is driving me crazy :help:

I have done some reading on LGA775 Heatsinks and fans and I have came across these 2:

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro - Link to Freezer 7 PRO site

AND

Zalman CNPS9500 LED - Link to the Zalman cooler

Could someone please guide me as to what one is the best buy.

Thank you :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Before you splash out, try a software solution:
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

This should allow you to slow the fan speed down (and hence reduce the noise it makes) without sacrificing (much) in the way of cooling.

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Ahh, ive tried that before - i can hear the fan getting quieter but then it just goes back to normal again.

I can't change the speed of it using speedfan

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well how hot is your processor actually running? they are both really extensive coolars and not to metion expensive

if your computer actually needs to be cooled down sure get them but if the temps are runnign fine you would be wasting money on such large coolers
troppo

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Another cooler you might consider is the thermotake blue orb II. I really like this cooler and its very quiet.
It just won a shootout on heat sinks in the latest issue of maximumPC magazine.

http://www.thermalta.../cl-p0257-2.htm

The fans you have links to i would not buy because they do not blow any cooling air on the caps on the motherboard. These caps can get pretty hot themselves so i prefer a cpu cooler that also blows air on them too.

SRX660

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Hello,

That thermaltake blue orb 2 HSF looks pretty good and its specs are good.

I used everest home edition to see the temp of my CPU and it fluctuates alot :blink:
One mintute its 30 Degrees celcius and then next minute its 5 :whistling:

So i decided to go into the BIOS and take a look and found out that it was around 48 but I dont know what unit it was in - either Celcius or Fahrenheit.

The first fan that I showed you is actually pretty cheap - around 20 GBP or 37 USD

Hope this helps

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The first two fans are good the arctic freezer range are reccomended alot because of the low price and high performance, zalman, arctic or thermalright HSFs are usually my choice.

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Would it be possible to add a new LED fan to the arctic cooling Freezer 7 PRO HSF after I buy it ?

It seems pretty dull without an LED fan... :whistling:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You don't want something that creates heat by your processor. Fans that have an LED create heat obviously when the light is on (Not alot of heat mind you, but still is counterproductive to what a heatsink/fan over the processor is meant to accomplish. :whistling: ). You don't need an LED fan on your CPU fan, you just need one on the side panel of the case itself.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 12 June 2006 - 06:34 AM.

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Ahh right... Thats a good point actually... Cheers man :whistling: