Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video and Music Runs choppy and skips

• Please log in to reply

babogorilla

babogorilla

• Pip
  • 7 posts
:blink:

Hi...

I have a relatively new laptop so I'm kinda confused why I would have this problem. Whenever I play an mp3 or a video it runs VERY choppy. I ran all sorts of diagnostic tools to fix this problem as well.

Ad-aware (I didnt have any spyware)
Registry Mechanic
System Mechanic

and i went into "msconfig" and in the startup tab i clicked disabled all thinking that it might be a resource issue.

the laptop is a sony vaio. i never had this problem before. just hoping that anybody might have a clue as to what it might be.

thanks in advance :whistling:

Please do not include an e-mail address in any post as it could lead to more contact than you intended

Edited by Keith, 04 June 2006 - 09:11 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when you say you never had this problem, do you mean this laptop played fine, but now is not, or this issue has been there since the beginning?

babogorilla

babogorilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
HI :whistling:

thanks for the reply.

in response i never had this problem before and it just started one day. i remember that i was using dvd decrypter and listening to music a week or so ago and then it started to get choppy.

thanks for the help :blink:

tiM

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
want you to do three things

download Everest Home

http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=13

unzip it, install it, and then save a report and ATTACH it to your next post
-------------------------------------------------------

download and run hijackthis from my signature

Save a report and attach that (DO NOT POST) as well

--------------------------------------------------------

Finally,

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Right click application and choose CLEAR ALL EVENTS, do not save the log
Right click system and choose CLEAR ALL EVENTS, do not save the log

Reboot. Work with computer until error recurs. reboot

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

babogorilla

babogorilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hi again..

1st, thx for being so helpful.

2nd, i've downloaded the hijack this prog from your page and am in the process of downloading everest. my connection is very slow in this hotel so it should be done by tomorrow. i'll unzip, install, save and attach the report in my next post.

however with the hijack this prog i just attach the report right?

i should have this done by tomorrow morning b4 i go to work. thx again...

tiM

babogorilla

babogorilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
the prog downloaded faster than i thought so i attached a few files.

basically i ran the programs as you said and saved the files.

i didn't see any red x's after i tried to play some music and i had trouble again but i did have a yellow warning triangle. i attached the log files so you can see. the event viewer system came out all clean...

thanks for the help :whistling:

Attached Thumbnails

• event_viewer_application.JPG

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well. dang....that all looks pretty good

Your event viewer error is a result of your busines contact manager (part of outlook), not functioning correctly, but that is not the cause of your issue.

What model is that sony vaio?

babogorilla

babogorilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hey...

i'm not really sure what vaio model it is but it's a fj series with 1 gig or ram, dvd burner, cam built in etc. i have a guarantee on it so i can return it when i get back from business.

i'm actually an IT recruiter and my company sent me away for a bit and if this problem is too hard to fix dont worry and i'll return it (i recruit it people, don't do any it myself...)

if this is too much work to fix don't worry and i'll return it...

tiM

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
should be a model number on the bottom, on a metal plate

Yes, I saw all the specs--and you look clean of malware and everything I looked for looks good (no harddrive failure, drivers seem mostly up to date, drives are in ata 5 mode, rather than pio mode, event viewer looks clear of anything obvious)

Since this laptop is relatively new, it is very possible that the drivers are simply imperfect, and it would not be a bad idea to check for updates-- a similar case could be made for a bios flash if there is one.

A couple years ago, ati released its mobility 9600 gpu for laptops and it worked flawlessly until a couple of driver revisions and then suddenly, all kinds of issues began cropping up.

Turned out, the ati chip was fine, but many machine motherboard bios were poorly timed and could not work with the gpu when it was running at optimal levels.

A bios flash cured these issues

tschrock

tschrock

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Disconnect from the Internet, disable your antivirus software and try again. I have seen this happen if your antivirus software is attempting to scan the file in real time as it plays.

babogorilla

babogorilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
well i removed my anti virus and i still have the same issue. i dont know how to do a bios flash but if it's too hard i'll just return it next weekend i'm back home and pick up a new one. no worries guys...

if u have any ideas or if anybody else can fix this i'm open to trying anything (i just dont want to lose the info i have on here...)

tiM

p.s. model # is pcg-7kil

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sony does load a ton of crap on pcs and you can always remove that extra junk, but that extra stuff does not usually manifest itself in your problem

I cannot find that model number :whistling:

babogorilla

babogorilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No worries. I'm getting rid of this pc now. thx dude...