Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up a 2/3 computer network, between 2 offices

• Please log in to reply

emmao414

emmao414

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello folks!

I'm seeking advice on exactly what I need to set up a 'network' in my work, to join a newly built office room to my already existing office, which has ASDL modem installed. I currently operate one computer, and will be looking to add at least one more computer to this internet connection.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400, and a standard ASDL connection into this computer. Any new computers would probably be Dell, and would have a seperate printer in that room, connected between the computers in that room only. I would not say file sharing was needed. I think that I only require a shared internet connection.

I would greatly appreciate any advise that anyone can give. I am a complete novice at this, so every detail is needed from start to finish, including all required equipment.

I look forward to hearring from you.

Loads and loads of thanks,

Emmao414

Advertisements

ajcool123

ajcool123

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Hey emmao414, welcome!

It sounds to me like your best option would be to setup a wireless network with your ADSL. That way you could not only have connectivity for your office, but also throughout the entire house. If you need help with what type of router to purchase let me know.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
wireless would deffinitely work...though ethernet cables would deffinitely be more reliable....either setup would be pretty easy for simple internet connection sharing....and you could always do a little mix of the two depending on your requirements

for both you would need a router (for pure wireless or a mixture of wired and wireless you would need a wireless router...for wired...well..obviously a wired router...)

basically what you would end up with is (the > stands for a connection from one device to another)
phone line > dsl modem > router > computers

most HOME routers are pretty much plug and play now adays...with minimal configuration required from you....except for the wireless security...which is still very easy...but takes some configuration...

http://www.geekstogo...ng-t102163.html give that tutorial a read...as it will give you the steps for most of what you're wanting to do..