Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing AVG: avgse.dll

• Please log in to reply

Wolf Amacker

Wolf Amacker

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey,

I'm new to the forum, so I apologise for any rules that I break right off the bat, I won't do it again if I can help it, so, thanks.

So here is the situation:
I recently built a computer for my brother, and loaded AVG Free as the antivirus; the problem was that it caused the computer to freeze up and not respond and made it take 15 minutes to boot. (*comp spec will be at the bottom*). We tried to uninstall it the conventional way through add/remove programs but it would not give. Then we gave in and just decided to delete the files. The only problem is that the file avgse.dll would not delete. The error it gives is: "Cannot Delete: avgse; Make sure that the disk is not full write protected and that the file is not currently in use." We checked the properties and it is not write protected. I think of myself as a computer savy guy who knows a few of the ins and outs, but I know that I don't know everything and any help on fixing this problem is welcome. Also, since I removed AVG unconventionally, can anyone instruct me on how to remove the AVG lines from the registry to completely clean it off my computer. Thanks.

CPU: Intel P4 2.66 GH
RAM: 1 GB
HDD: 250 GB

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, remove any ticks for AVG, click apply and reboot, tick do not start the configuration utility when windows loads

If you have a folder in programme files for AVG, move it to my documents, reboot and delete the folder, if that goes OK, click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, put the dot in normal start up and reboot

If you still get an error, get Unlocker from my signature, install with the unlocker assistant option and reboot, then delete the file, use unlock all, or one of the options in the drop down menu

See how it goes with that and then we can look at the registry entries

Wolf Amacker

Wolf Amacker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks! The move to the My Documents trick worked great!

Ok, now I'm ready to tackle the registry with your help, b-t-w, how did that work? And one more thing, The computer slows down a lot when certain apps open up, like internet explorer. My friend who's really good with computers told me since I have an IDE cable connecting my HDD and my CD- Drive that the HDD would not be as fast as it should be, but is this really causing my system to freeze up when I open up things like IE? Thanks for the fast response earlier.

-Wolf

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type regedit then press enter, click file, click export, check the dot is in all, name and save the file to a safe location, probably best to a folder you create in My Documents

Click the + next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER then click the + next to software to look for AVG, left click it, press the delete key, confirm

Click the + next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then click the + next to software, left click AVG, press the delete key, confirm, close the registry editor

When the folder was moved to My Documents, it wasn't loaded at start up, wasn't in use so no reason for it to not delete

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Wolf Amacker

Wolf Amacker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks! All that has made this computer to start smoking right at Start Up, I mean, it is fast.

One problem, after all that IE is having a problem. It gives the error message sound and then pops up on screen with this error message: "Instruction at "0x75f91b88" referenced memory at "0x0000001". The memory could not be written." This occurs when you attempt to start IE. Thanks for any assistance.

-Wolf

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you boot the PC, keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose safe mode with networking, try IE

Wolf Amacker

Wolf Amacker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Tried it, still doesn't work; gives the same error.

Wolf Amacker

Wolf Amacker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey, here's some more info:

At startup it gives the error:

RTHDCPL.EXE - Application Error

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the Application.

-Wolf

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You may as well try method 2

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.

In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)

Select the OK button.

Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.

Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.

Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.

Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.

In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf

In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.

Click the Search button.

In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.

Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.

Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Wolf Amacker

Wolf Amacker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've just noticed that there's a bigger problem afoot...No folder will open at all. I think this may be because of it relying on Explorer to view all files, and an error occurs whenever you try to use the run command:

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close, sorry for for the inconvenience.

It then has the option to send error reporting....but what good does that do anyways. Um...so, that's the final situation, I tried your tips in the last post, and cannot even begin them because of the problems. On another note, everything else runs fine, like itunes, World of Warcraft....everything else seems good; anything dealing with Explorer has seemed to crap out on me. Thanks again.

-Wolf

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click the taskbar, click task manager, click file, click new task, type sfc /scannow then press enter

Wolf Amacker

Wolf Amacker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Still not responding, right clicking gives the error also.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is the best way forward because you could spend ages looking for the error

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Wolf Amacker

Wolf Amacker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks, everything's working great now.

Thanks for all the help.

-Wolf

Retired Tech

Retired Tech