Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem problem de novo?

• Please log in to reply

pmjhess

pmjhess

• Pip
  • 9 posts
:tazz: Colleagues, please help me. All of a sudden this morning I can't log onto the Internet (I'm posting this from a borrowed laptop), and I get error message 633: "cannot establish connection." I'm using a BCM V.92 56K modem in a Dell Dimension 2300. The system says that the modem is working; SBC says the phone line is fine. Where is the interface? Microsoft says it's a Dell problem, and Dell returns the compliment.

Also, I tried a "system restore" to go back two days before this all started, but it won't allow me to restore to a point earlier than this morning. Is something corrupted in my system restore files?

Help! Thanks in advance,
PMJH

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Right click My Computer, click properties the click on the system restore tab make sure the do not use system restore is not checked. You may also want to move the slider for the amount of disk space to use up some.

Can you here the modem dial up?

Try uninstalling the modem in device manager then reboot the found new hardeware wizard should appear to guide you thru reinstalling the modem
The wizard will ask to search for drivers at witch time you need to insert the dell cd that contains the drivers.

If no luck try the modem in a different pci slot and repeat the above procedure.

If none of this works and you are sure the cables are good then the modem would need to be replaced.

Rick

pmjhess

pmjhess

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you, Rick. I've already tried everything possible with system restore, but all the restore points before Thursday morning have been erased. So I think I'll have to reinstall the operating system.

The modem checks out as fine, and so does the internet connection. The error message is that somthing is occupying the modem port -- perhaps a piece of spyware that is consstantly trying to establish a connection?

Peter

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Before doing a format, why not try out the winsock utility that is somewhere on this website?

pmjhess

pmjhess

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks, Macten. But since I cannot establish a connection to the internet on my infected computer (htis is a borrowed laptop), I can't get to the Geekstogo website to download winsock. Can such a file be purchased? Or is there a utility included in my Windows XP that can clean the registry for me? (I've read from some other forum conversations that this might help.)

Thanks,
Peter

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I would download it to a cd-r or cd-rw from your friends laptop. Then copy it to your desktop and double-click on it. There are other winsock utilities on the Internet. You might do a search from google for them. There is no guarantee that they will work but it's worth a try.....