Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Security software

• Please log in to reply

luker38

luker38

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello. I bought a new computer a few months back and it came with free trial of Mcafee Internet Security. The trial ends in a few days. What are some decent security programs? I've never been completely happy with Mcafee or Norton and would like to know if anyone can offer any suggestions. Thanks...

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you looking at paid for or free programmes?

luker38

luker38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I was thinking of paid programs...

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
NOD32. Hands down.

AVG is just as good, in my opinion. I've been using the free version for a couple of years now, and have never had a problem. They also have a paid version, which honestly does NOT give you any more "protection" than the free version does.

You can always check out Tony Klein's article How Did I get infected? Tony and I recently updated it, and included a LOT of good protection programs. :whistling:

luker38

luker38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for that info, I really appreciate it. One more question, if I may. Mcafee bundles its Privacy Service, Firewall and Spamkiller into the package that came with my computer. I don't care about the Spamkiller, so lets forget about that. How important are the Firewall and Privacy Serivce? Isn't the Microsoft Windows Firewall good enough? What about Privacy Service? Thanks for your help...

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I'm not familiar with SpamKiller, so I can't comment on that.

Windows Firewall is NOT good enough alone. :whistling: It only monitors incoming traffic, not outgoing. Also, it is much easier for unsavory persons to "break" your Windows Firewall and do what they want with your pc than what you might think it is. A good firewall is definitely the way to go.

luker38

luker38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks Kat. Can you recommend a good Firewall?

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I use Zone Alarm personally. I know some people use Kerio, as well. Both are free. :whistling:

luker38

luker38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks, I went with ZoneAlarm. I appreciate your help!!!