Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry Files

• Please log in to reply

Marotta1

Marotta1

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi, I was just wondering if someone could tell me if these files are needed in the registry. They always come up when I do a scan but I have never been comfortable deleting them. i have been trying out Tune Up Utilities 2006 which is a really nice program and cleaned out all of the old junk, but want to know if I should keep these around. They are found under File Types. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

.386 file (*.386)
-----------------
The key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.386 points to the missing key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\vxdfile.

.BKF file (*.bkf)
-----------------
The key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bkf points to the missing key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\msbackupfile.

.DAT file (*.dat)
-----------------
The key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dat points to the missing key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dat_auto_file.

.DGF file (*.dgf)
-----------------
The key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dgf points to the missing key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InterTrustDigiFile.

.DGT file (*.dgt)
-----------------
The key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dgt points to the missing key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DGT.Document.

.IDC file (*.idc)
-----------------
The key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.idc points to the missing key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\idcfile.

.MCH file (*.mch)
-----------------
The key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mch points to the missing key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MacromediaXtraCacheFile.

.MGT file (*.mgt)
-----------------
The key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mgt points to the missing key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MusicnotesGuitar.File.

.NCD file (*.ncd)
-----------------
The key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ncd points to the missing key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ncdfile.

.PCB file (*.pcb)
-----------------
The key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pcb points to the missing key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PCBFile.

.VXD file (*.vxd)
-----------------
The key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.vxd points to the missing key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\vxdfile.

.X32 file (*.x32)
-----------------
The key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.x32 points to the missing key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MacromediaXtra32.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
leave them be...they harm nothing by being there and you gain nothing by removing them

Don't poke around in the registry looking for things to remove--it is a guaranteed path to a "Help, my computer will not boot into windows!" post

Marotta1

Marotta1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks gerryf. I don't just poke around looking for stuff to delete. I have just cleaned a lot of junk off my computer lately so I just figured I'd double check on these files also which always come up. I'll just leave them as I always have.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I did not mean to insult you--I'm just saying that the prospect for damage outweighs the gain of removing these sorts of things

Marotta1

Marotta1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Don't worry, I didn't take it as an insult. I just clean up the registry when I uninstall programs and find unnecessary junk on my computer. I know the damage it can do if not careful. Thanks again.