Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Real quick monitor resolution question

• Please log in to reply

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
I have a 17 inch LCD monitor. On the box it says 1280x1024 max res. I've had it set to 1024x768 because that's what my old monitor was set to, and that's what resolution all my wallpapers are. But I've heard that LCD monitors have a native res. So I'm wondering if 1280x1024 is the native res? Then if it is, should I switch my res to 1280x1024?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Gamerlicious!

Yes, most LCD's have a native resolution of 1280x1024. Meaning that they look best at that resolution. You can always stretch your wallpaper (In DISPLAY PROPERTIES) so that it will still fill the entire screen at the higher resolution then what the wallpaper was originally made for. Sometimes the pictures will look fine, but other times it will make the picture look worse. It's up to you whether it looks good or not.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 06 June 2006 - 09:11 AM.

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Ok thanks, I guess I'll change my resolution then. I'm guessing that I should also change the res in the games I play too then.

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Well I changed it. Now everything looks really small and the fonts look different. This will take getting used to.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

I'm guessing that I should also change the res in the games I play too then.

That really depends on the power of your computer. You can try changing the resolution, but if you notice the game is running alot slower then you were used to playing it, then I suggest you change it back to 1024x768. It will still look okay. Comes down to your preference whether or not the slow-down of running the game at the higher resolution is worth it or not.

Fenor

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Just because your video card and monitor can be put in 1280 X 1024 resolution doesn't mean that it makes any sense to do so.

Changing the res to 1280 will make reading text very difficult. Everything is shrunk down in proportion. Many web pages use small type and with 1280 resolution they will be just about unreadable. I suggest that you go back to the 1024 X 768 resolution to give your eyes a break and to avoid headaches. Everything will look quite good despite not being shown at the "native resolution".

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
1280 wont make reading different thats crap your spouting there. i have used 1280 for years and had no problems and i need glasses.

Forunatley there are easy and simple things to make icons and text bigger very easily this allows you to have high res and its many advantages and be able to read text, which isnt a porblem as long as you arent half blind or are not wearing your glasses.

Even then on internet pages if its to small hold the control key and use the mouse wheel to scroll in and out altering the text size.

1280 is a common size its easy to find wallpapers in that size.