Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pentium 4 vs pentium d

• Please log in to reply

paradien

paradien

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
i run a pentium 4 and am looking at getting a better cpu, so which is better?

the pentium d
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116212

or

the pentium 4
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116004

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If i had to go with a pentium it would have to be the p4 because the 830 sucks big time, the newer dual cores are slightly better, the ones coming out next month though are really amazing check if your mobo is compatible if its new enough it should take Duo CPUs, they ditched the pentium brand so if its pentium you know its not the latest intels got to offer.

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
well not really sure if i can with my board...you can take a look at the one i use and its specs here
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116004

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
oh and mine isnt 830
its 631

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its down to your motherboards, it will work on the current newish chipset from intel "Prior to the launch of the Core 2 CPUs, Intel will be announcing the 965P chipset. The new CPUs will run on motherboards with 965P chipsets, as well as those with 975X chipsets. Intel motherboards with 975X core logic that support Conroe have been shipping since April of this year. Intel will also launch integrated graphics versions of the 965 closer to the CPU launch date, some time in July."

little bit from a review so if you have a 975X you are ok if you have an older one they would need you to update your mobo as well.

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
umm the manual i got for the mobo jst says chipsetnorthbridge and southbridge nvidia nforce 4 sli intel edition and south is nvidia mcp-04
not really sure if thats its but in the manual that what under the chipset colum

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
ah righ youve got one of those rare nf4 intel beasts, im not sure on that one you would have to check the nvidia website for that compatibility or the manufacturer most companies use the intel chipsets they make themselves so the nf4 might have support but its not specifcally mentioned an intel press release(as they want you to buy an intel chipset).

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
you mean what cpus are usable on this mobo

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah thats the biggest factor to upgrading, some only take certain cpus or series of cpus, some will take all but you might need a bios flash to get the new ones, the latest list of supported CPUs will be on the web.

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
well my manuall list them

-lga 775 socket for intle pentium processors extreme edition/intel pentium d/ intle pentium 4/intle celeron processors. compatible with intle pcg 05b/o5a and o4b/04aprocessors

supports intle enhanced memory 64 technogly (em64t)
supports enhanced intle speed setup technogly (eist)
supports intle hyper-threading technogly

(note due to chipset limitstion the intle pentium d 820 processor works only in signle core mode)

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The manual was only correct as of publish date, they wouldnt have known about new chips being released which is one of the things you want to find out, the newer dual cores wouldnt have been out either.

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
eh ill see if i can find that ,but either way i dont think i can run both cores as seen with the pentium d i can only runin sigle core mode

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
called asus and they helped a bunch i found the list of the cpu im compatible with and alot are celron d, and the people from geek squade did say it would be better than the p4 for gaming which i am into

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
and an ask for an opinion whats the best intle for gaming

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Best intel for gaming, none of them, but if you have to pick the single cores are actually best, dual core is just better multi tasking but single is better for gaming because of the way they are coded its why AMD are faster gaming ships because they arent threaded either. The new core2 duos are faster than AMD but you cant get one on that board.

Geek squad as per usual are talking crap, they usually dont know alot about computers.