Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very Erratic, slow, unsecure cable modem..

• Please log in to reply

Hinata-chan

Hinata-chan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Let's see.. I get random DNS, Key Port, and general CANNOT FIND SERVER at random times.

For example, i get onto google, and i search for somthing and i get CANNOT FIND SERVER.
Or, i click internet explorer, and it launches me directly into CANNOT FIND SERVER.
Or i decide to try and get firefox, and i click the download link and i get sent to CANNOT FIND SERVER.

I've run all sorts of spyware and antivirus things, they're all done, so it's not that.

I've unplugged everything many times, it just causes an increase of internet speed for a short while.

Then it goes back to the previous 2 KB/S...

I don't know how else to explain this strate erratic behaviour...

I have a Router, but it's been fine up til now... I'm planning to look for new drivers as we speak, but please, if you can, help! ^_^

Thanks!
Hinata

P.S. Funniest thing is, this site seems to work fine and fast... =/

Edited by Hinata-chan, 06 June 2006 - 02:37 PM.

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Clear the History, cookies, and files from all your browsers. Set your history to the lowest number of days you can live with. I have mine set to 0.
Try the following utility. It imprved my cable connection by 5%. Use the first link to configure you connect tthen the second to apply the modification.

http://www.j79zlr.com/cablenutXP2k.php

http://www.cablenut.com/

Hinata-chan

Hinata-chan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Well, a while after i posted here, it got remarkably better, trust my luck!

But if it degenerates again, i'll check those out!

Thanks anyway!