Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

recover files?

• Please log in to reply

NNtonebone7

NNtonebone7

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok. im pretty sure my computer is jacked, i cant boot, it says ntldr is missing, and i have tried just about everything people have told me, so far i have been unsuccesful, i wanted to know if there is any way to save my files such as my pictures and my music from my computer if i have to reformat, please help. i dont want to lose all my priceless, irreplaceable pictures. please, any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
If you have access to another pc you might try this:
remove your hard drive
move the jumper to the slave position
connect your drive to the other pc
drag and drop your files onto media(hard drive, zip disk, ...)

note: the red stripe on the ribbon cable and the red wire on the power cable will most likely be adjacent when connected properly. Look at the red stripe and red wire when disconnecting your drive.

I gather from your previous posts that you do not have a floppy drive and that replacing ntldr was unsuccessful. When your drive is connected as a slave device any missing boot files(ntldr) are unnecessary because the pc will boot off it's own(master) drive..

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the XP CD go here

Replace NTLDR

NNtonebone7

NNtonebone7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i have copied \i386\ntldr and ntdetect.com from the windows xp cd, and i was still unsuccessful. i just got an external usb floppy and i made a boot disk on a windows 98 system that i have acces to at school, im going to try and boot from the disk today. i tried yesterday with a boot disk i made, but it didnt work, it didnt boot from the disk, i dont think i made it right, but i made another one just now. so i will try that. thanks for all your help and feedback

NNtonebone7

NNtonebone7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
so i tried tp boot from the floppy boot disk, it didnt work... :tazz: so im going to take my hard drive out and put it in a friends computer, and hopefully i can save some files onto a cd... wish me luck, i will cry like a little school girl if i cant save my files

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
When handling the drive, avoid touching the circuitry. Good luck.

NNtonebone7

NNtonebone7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks for the tip! :tazz:

NNtonebone7

NNtonebone7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
so i took my hard drive out, and changed it to a slave drive and put it in another computer but i didnt have any luck. the computer saw that there was new hardware found, but i couldnt access it from anywhere. it didnt show up from my computer. i went into the control panel and tried to add new hardware, but it said that the device was working properly, the hard drive showed up in the device manager and eveything, but i couldnt access it or any of the files... help ... please

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
Is the drive still installed in another pc?

If so:
1. open 'my computer' and see if your drive is listed
2. go to device manager and see if the drive is listed and see if there is a yellow or red symbol next to the drive(start, control panel, system, hardware, device manager, '+' for disk drives)

NNtonebone7

NNtonebone7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
the drive is no longer in another pc, but i can put it back sometime. but if you are talking about if the device was disabled or enabl, i already tried that... it was enabled then i disabled it and enabled it again just to see what would happen. when it was disabled there was a red marker next to my drive, i think thats what your talking about.. right? thanks again for all the help, though more is still needed, and appreciated

Advertisements

NNtonebone7

NNtonebone7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

the drive is no longer in another pc, but i can put it back sometime. but if you are talking about if the device was disabled or enabl, i already tried that... it was enabled then i disabled it and enabled it again just to see what would happen. when it was disabled there was a red marker next to my drive, i think thats what your talking about.. right? thanks again for all the help, though more is still needed, and appreciated

View Post

i forgot to say it didnt work after i disabled it then enabled it again..

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
I think we need to leave it in the other computer until we can determine first, that it is configured correctly, and then we can try to see if it is readable. Let us know when you are ready to continue.

NNtonebone7

NNtonebone7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i cant really leave it in another computer, my other computer at home is a mac. i tried it in my cousins computer and my girlfriends computer, i cant really leave it in either of them, because i had to take out some of their components so that my hard drive would work.. if i left it in their computers wouldnt work how they wanted them to, with out cd/dvd rom drives and such. i really appreciate all your help, and would greatly appreciate more help. i will do what i can to get it in a computer and leave it there until we can find if its installed properly and all, thanks again

Paul_uk

Paul_uk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I have the same problem and was wondering if you found a solution, i really need access to certain files on the drive.

Any help would be great or the link that help you

cheers
Paul

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
Do you have access to another pc with a similar operating system?(looks like you are using xp)