Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BOOT UP PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

charlie56

charlie56

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:whistling:
I disconnected my CDRW and connected my old hard drive ( Windows 95) to copy some files onto my hard drive (Windows XP Home) I did not alter the jump. I searched my old drive but did not copy anything. I disconnected the old hard drive and reconnected the CDRW.
When I switched it on a message came up saying insert the System Recovery disc and press enter. I did and the same message came up. It would not boot up.
I disconnected the CDRW and put the old hard drive in and it worked fine, I had access to all the files on my normal hard drive and my internet connection is fine but I could not use the CDRW. I disconnected the old hard drive and reconnected the CDRW. When I started it up the insert System Recovery disc message came up the CDRW tray would not open.
I think it is booting up through my old drive which does not have a CDRW diver on it ( it only had a CD driver).
Any suggestions as to how I can get it to boot up with my normal drive?
Thank you for any help you can provide me with
Charlie56

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
With the old drive in place, go to device manager and find the drive, then right click it (the old drive) and choose uninstall

Do not reboot yet

Check the cd-rom drives....right click each an uninstall

Now shut down

Remove the old drive

Plug in the cd-rom

Boot. Let windows redetect all drives

charlie56

charlie56

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I disconnected my CDRW and connected my old hard drive ( Windows 95) to copy some files onto my hard drive (Windows XP Home) I did not alter the jump. I searched my old drive but did not copy anything. I disconnected the old hard drive and reconnected the CDRW.
When I switched it on a message came up saying insert the System Recovery disc and press enter. I did and the same message came up. It would not boot up.
I disconnected the CDRW and put the old hard drive in and it worked fine, I had access to all the files on my normal hard drive and my internet connection is fine but I could not use the CDRW. I disconnected the old hard drive and reconnected the CDRW. When I started it up the insert System Recovery disc message came up the CDRW tray would not open.
I think it is booting up through my old drive which does not have a CDRW diver on it ( it only had a CD driver).
Charlie56

Thank you for your prompt reply gerryf
I am going to do as you suggested, hopefully I will be able to tell you how it went in a few minutes.
Cheers
Charlie56

charlie56

charlie56

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Charlie56

Thank you for your prompt reply gerryf
I am going to do as you suggested, hopefully I will be able to tell you how it went in a few minutes.
Cheers
Charlie56

I have uninstall my old drive as suggested gerryf.
However I could not find any CD rom references in device manager only a floppy ( my computer does not have one). Do I need to search somewhere else?
Is it safe to switch off now that the old drive has been uninstalled?
I might not be able to reply until later today/morrow as it is now nearly 2 o'clock in the morning here in England.
Cheers
Charlie56

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes

if =no cd is showing, feel free to shut down and switch

charlie56

charlie56

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

yes

if =no cd is showing, feel free to shut down and switch

Cheers gerryf
The problems solved my computer is now working fine. I boots up normaly and the CDRW works fine.
I was probably an easy problem for you but it wasn't for me. It's nice to have my CDRW working and not having to have my old drive connected to boot up.
Thank you very much
Charlie56

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

cool

No, not particularly easy, that is a pretty rare situation. I just get lucky sometimes