Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New system

• Please log in to reply

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi all
looking for some input on a system I'm looking to build here is what I'm looking at for main parts I keep changing my mind on things so I need some input on this so I break down and order the parts.
Soyo KT600 dragon plus V1.0
AMD athlon XP2500+ 333fsb barton core
AMD socket A CPU cooler W/copper core
Ultra 256 PC2700 DDR 333MHz (I know 512 is what I should Do)
All input wanted good or bad.
Thank you
:D

AMD <_<

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
My experience with Soyo motherboards has not been very good. <_< I usually recommend Abit or Asus.

Have you considered an nForce2 chipset? It's fast, stable, and very overclockable. Most 2500+ owners can easily get 3200+ performance by simply increasing the Front Side Bus. If you are planning to overclock you'll also want to consider a little faster memory (PC3200).

I built a friend a system using a Barton 2500+ and Crucial PC2700, we were able to get a very stable overclock to 3200+ speeds, using the stock Heat Sink/Fan. I'm sure we could have gone higher with a voltage bump and a better HSF. :D

tazz1964

tazz1964

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
I have had very good luck with the soyo MB and from the reviews that I have read alot of them the KT600 is out performing the nForce2 yes I do want to go with the pc3200 Crucial thank you for your input if you have any links to reveiws that I should read would be great.
Thanks <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I found this review of the Soyo with a head-to-head comparison against the Abit NF7-S (nForce2). Most enthisiasts are going with this Abit board, and all other AMD boards are being measured against it.
http://www.fastlaneh...hp?i=116&page=5

Here's a KT600 roundup from a very good site AMDMB.com
http://www.amdmb.com...p?ArticleID=264

Another VIA KT600 vs. NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 Review
http://www.sharkyext...cle.php/3315491

And one more KT600 roundup <_<
http://www6.tomshard...board/20030908/

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Im gonna agree with admin on the board selections and that soyo products also in general is not what i would recommend either, im having trouble with even the case powersupplies/fans... as you already stated 512 would be good, but i really recommend sdddr mem. with your 2500...other then that looks great!

tazz1964

tazz1964

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi guys
thanks for all the input on this for me I have talk to some of the local dealers around here I do work for too. I'm getting sum love the soyo and sum don't.
but I have come to what I'm going to do and it all came to seeing two system next to one other runnning the same 2500+ i'm getting with the same ram and video cards one was a ausu with the nForce2 chipset and the same soyo that I'm looking at with the kt600 from what i seen and play with both systems the soyo was faster so I have made the order on the soyo I guess with only paying $28.99 for the soyo MB if I don't like it I will find a other that I do.
Thanks for all the input
<_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I guess with only paying $28.99 for the soyo MB

:D I'd buy the Soyo too for $29! <_<

wace9178

wace9178

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Can i get in on the $28.99 Soyo Mb or is it an insider thing?

tazz1964

tazz1964

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
its a resellers thing but here are to good deals on the MB I have.Soyo MB
Soyo MB w/ 2500+ Amd chip
<_<