Welcome Guest to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Feel free to browse the site as a guest. However, you must log in to reply to existing topics or start a new topic of your own, and enjoy all this forum has to offer. Additionally, if you can assist another member by sharing your knowledge, please post a reply! Best of all - Registration and all assistance, is FREE! Learn more about How it Works. Infected? Malware Cleaning Guide. What are you waiting for?
Create an Account Login to Account

New system

• Please log in to reply

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi all
looking for some input on a system I'm looking to build here is what I'm looking at for main parts I keep changing my mind on things so I need some input on this so I break down and order the parts.
Soyo KT600 dragon plus V1.0
AMD athlon XP2500+ 333fsb barton core
AMD socket A CPU cooler W/copper core
Ultra 256 PC2700 DDR 333MHz (I know 512 is what I should Do)
All input wanted good or bad.
Thank you
:D

AMD <_<

Advertisement

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,088 posts
  • MVP
My experience with Soyo motherboards has not been very good. <_< I usually recommend Abit or Asus.

Have you considered an nForce2 chipset? It's fast, stable, and very overclockable. Most 2500+ owners can easily get 3200+ performance by simply increasing the Front Side Bus. If you are planning to overclock you'll also want to consider a little faster memory (PC3200).

I built a friend a system using a Barton 2500+ and Crucial PC2700, we were able to get a very stable overclock to 3200+ speeds, using the stock Heat Sink/Fan. I'm sure we could have gone higher with a voltage bump and a better HSF. :D

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
I have had very good luck with the soyo MB and from the reviews that I have read alot of them the KT600 is out performing the nForce2 yes I do want to go with the pc3200 Crucial thank you for your input if you have any links to reveiws that I should read would be great.
Thanks <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,088 posts
  • MVP
I found this review of the Soyo with a head-to-head comparison against the Abit NF7-S (nForce2). Most enthisiasts are going with this Abit board, and all other AMD boards are being measured against it.
http://www.fastlaneh...hp?i=116&page=5

Here's a KT600 roundup from a very good site AMDMB.com
http://www.amdmb.com...p?ArticleID=264

Another VIA KT600 vs. NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 Review
http://www.sharkyext...cle.php/3315491

And one more KT600 roundup <_<
http://www6.tomshard...board/20030908/

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Im gonna agree with admin on the board selections and that soyo products also in general is not what i would recommend either, im having trouble with even the case powersupplies/fans... as you already stated 512 would be good, but i really recommend sdddr mem. with your 2500...other then that looks great!

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi guys
thanks for all the input on this for me I have talk to some of the local dealers around here I do work for too. I'm getting sum love the soyo and sum don't.
but I have come to what I'm going to do and it all came to seeing two system next to one other runnning the same 2500+ i'm getting with the same ram and video cards one was a ausu with the nForce2 chipset and the same soyo that I'm looking at with the kt600 from what i seen and play with both systems the soyo was faster so I have made the order on the soyo I guess with only paying $28.99 for the soyo MB if I don't like it I will find a other that I do.
Thanks for all the input
<_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,088 posts
  • MVP

I guess with only paying $28.99 for the soyo MB

:D I'd buy the Soyo too for $29! <_<

wace9178

wace9178

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Can i get in on the $28.99 Soyo Mb or is it an insider thing?

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
its a resellers thing but here are to good deals on the MB I have.Soyo MB
Soyo MB w/ 2500+ Amd chip
<_<

Advertisement