Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

X1900 XT power requirments, Please I need help ASAP!

• Please log in to reply

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I recently bought the X1900 XT and it says it needs a minimum of 30Amps on the 12V rail. However on my PSU it says it can only deliver 28Apms and on reviews of this PSU it says it can only deliver 22Amps.

The big question is this: Can I use the Antec Trueblue 480W (not the new 2.0 edition) to power the X1900 XT?
Im scared I might damage my £310 card so I have not connected it.
If I shouldnt connect it to this PSU will I have to buy a new 1?

All replies greatly appreciated

Many thanks in advance.... need help ASAP!!!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. If the power supply does not provide the required amps, don't try using it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It should probably pull it off because the specs on both sides often err on the side of caution however i would go on the safe side and pick up a new compaitble PSU powerful cards like that and other hardware of that nature need alot of power and a good PSU is a wise investment.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ok I have just realised that the card is bent in one corner due to pressure during delivery. I connected it as I found out that: 'if the PSU cannot handle the card then the post screen will come then at Windows it might fail, however it probably wont so try playing a demanding game such as COD2 and if you get a blue screen or an error message you need a new PSU'.

However it didnt work at all. My screen read 'no signal'. So I disconnected all hard drives and optical drives (i have no other expansion cards installed) and then tried, still no signal.
The card is damaged so I am giving it back I bought it form www.overclockers.co.uk, hopefully I will be offered a replacment as I only just got the card yesterday (delivery).

I reckon my PSU can handle it however I am still considering replacing my trustworthy 480W Antec Trueblue for a 600W maybe Enermax Liberty I am not sure but I want a modular PSU, however the cables in the Eneramx are not fully sleeved which makes it look very messy. Can anyone reccommend a nice neat very reliable 600W, SLI ready, modular PSU with at least 36Apms on 12V rail?- (however im gusessing if it says SLI ready then it will be over 32Amps? (I know this is like a dumb question but since SLI is Nvidias dual mode would a PSU stating SLI, work with crossfire?)

I am also thinking of replacing my GA-8I915P Duo Pro motherboard and my Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz 530J with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 AM2 and a supporting motherboard however at the moment the boards only have the old X200 series chipsets as the Xpress 3200 (RD580) has only recently been released and RD 580 is not yet wideley available on AM2 motherboards so if I wait about a moth then prices should fall and it should become widely available.

However do you think I should replace my current mobo and cpu and PSU which will cost about £400 (oh and I will also then have 2 PCI-E slots as I only have 1 right now although it has been shown that on the future 2 of the X1900 XTX will not really improvve framerates or any other aspect in terms gaming in a great deal). I am sort of a gamer I absolutley love COD2 (Call Of Duty 2) cant wait for COD3!!! What are the estimated system requirments for COD3? If it has not been told can someone have a guess or an estimate based on the current COD2?

I am 17 by the way; recently left my job so I only have £400 left. And emergency tax was taken off which I am going to claim about £250.

Oh and is there a way to reduce power consumption of the X1900 CT when say if im writing a document or watching a movie?

Please go to http://theone008.blogspot.com where you can see my computer and tommorow I will be updating it with pics of my bent graphics card and hopefully you lot or someone can tell me if this is alot of damage.

Many thanks.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
COME ON SOMEONE REPY PLEASE I AHCVE BEEN WAITING A WEK FOR A REPLY. Oh also I now plan to buy the conroe as long as it falls within the £200 price mark.

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
You'd be lucky to recieve a straight card. My X1800XT is bent, and probably my X1900XT will be aswell.. It works, however, via the PCI-e power on my PSU (my PSU only gives 19A per rail because i have dual 12V rails).

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
lly? Thats strange..... must be a manufacturing problem.... anyways mine didnt work at all so I am receving a new one as we speak via Citylink it still says: These goods have been scanned at the collection branch and are now on route to the delivery branch as it has been since 4:24pm even though from the Overclockers to the national hub the route is only 36 miles (1 hour at most).

Do you think I will have to buy a new PSU I am planning on as I say a new 600W modular.

Anyone here going with Conroe this year? I plan to let people buy it and look at some real results which I can trust b4 buying it.

Oh and 1 IMPORTANT question: Does the X1900 XT work with the 915p Intel northbridge chipset or do chipsets not matter?

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

lly? Thats strange..... must be a manufacturing problem.... anyways mine didnt work at all so I am receving a new one as we speak via Citylink it still says: These goods have been scanned at the collection branch and are now on route to the delivery branch as it has been since 4:24pm even though from the Overclockers to the national hub the route is only 36 miles (1 hour at most).

Do you think I will have to buy a new PSU I am planning on as I say a new 600W modular.

Anyone here going with Conroe this year? I plan to let people buy it and look at some real results which I can trust b4 buying it.

Oh and 1 IMPORTANT question: Does the X1900 XT work with the 915p Intel northbridge chipset or do chipsets not matter?

Yeah:
X1800XT
Notice how it's bent.

When I get my X1900XT, I'll take a pic of it to show you if it's bent or not.

Also, as long as your motherboard supports PCI-e, you shouldn't worry about chipsets. If your new one doesn't work either then try to obtain a different PSU with atleast no lower than 500W. My PSU's PCIe power cables supply enough amps for powerful cards. You can get the Antec TruePower II 550W for less than $100 USD.

Edited by FalloutYear, 12 June 2006 - 04:41 PM.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
So your from america? Well I have also posted a thread asking how to clean the thermatake tsunami case and some guy from america suggested some Dawn dish detergent only a drop in some water to clean the entire case including the delicate acrlic side panel the highly polished exterior of the case and the front of the case. what is this dawn dish detergent, is it like fairy liquid? Here in the UK EVERYONE (well sort of everyone) uses fairy liquid.

Would you recommend this for cleaning my thermaltake tsunami black with side window?

Oh and I did say a MODULAR psu I particularly like the Ultra Xconnect but I dont think they are as reliable as say enermax or antec.
Correct me if I am wrong.

I was thinking of upgrading from the following (my system as it is):

-Pentium 4 3.0Ghz HT 530J 800 Mhz FSB with (the cCPU cooler very recently ordered with the graphics card) with Zalman CNPS9500-AT Aero Flower Socket 775

-Gigabyte GA-8I915P Duo Pro

-Powercolor X800 XL 256Mb 16 pipelines now- Powercolor X1900 XT 512 Mb 16 pipelines

-1Gb Corsair valueselect DDR RAM PC3200 CAS 2.5

-SATA Seagate Barracuda 80 Gb HDD
-IDE Seagate Barracuda 80Gb HDD

-2 DVD optical drives (1 writable drive)

Planing on upgrading to:

-E6600 Conroe 1066 Mhz FSB (*what RAM speed in Mhz do I need to get a whole multiple number?*)- Approx- £200

-Supporting motherboard (must be 975X chipset because no other conroe boards support crossfire) - Approx- £100

-600W Modular SLI PSU - Approx £100

-Zalman VF900-CU Quiet Copper VGA Cooler £25

-Low Latency OCZ 2Gb DDR2 4-4-4-12 667 Mhz £167

However if you add the £ up you get more than £487 which is how much I have so I need to do something about the RAM or a cheaper mobo?

How can you live with the noise of that stock VGA cooler?

#@#!!!!!!****The only reason I plan to upgrade to that is because I think the pentium 4 will be a bottleneck for the X1900 XT although my mobo supports both DDR 2 and DDR. Do you think my current system will create bottlenecks for the card and if so where?****~@#[#'~

Hey and you seem to have the same hairstyle as me if thats your pic, the French Crop right? :whistling:

Edited by Mitesh, 13 June 2006 - 04:10 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You sont use anything except air and a duster to clean the case, NO LIQUID. Outside you just use the suitable household polish and a duster treat it like furniture.

PSU i would get another hyper type R is i was in your position they are cheap and reliable and look great the boxes they come in are cool as well.

The memory will cost less by July, slthough you might be a little ambitous on the E6600 intel tend to be expensive here you might have to go one down to get it in your budget. There will also be new motherboards, there is only one core 2 supporting mobo now but more are being released at the same time as the cpu.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Just an update I bought a Silverstone 600W modular PSU SLI although my antec trueblue worked fine.
However I have some new problems can you please read a new thread I have created?
Oh and my new graphics card came ABSOLUTLEY STRAIGHT!!