Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

irratating Quirks

• Please log in to reply

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:whistling: Hi, I'm new to this great site but already on my third problem. Started building PCs as a hobbie with my boys this winter. Everytime we do one they present their own different quirks the last four are still haveing quirks but yet fuctionig, so I'll discuss each in a different thread. Starting with the red one, Asus tuv4x board, tulation 1.4Ghz overclocked to 1.586Ghz, XP pro. Three quirks. #1 everytime it is turned off and back on the internet explorer home page changes from "google" (where I keep resetting it) back to MSN search engine, how do I get it to keep on Google? #2 While on internet explorer it often says "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem ... etc, send error report or don't. Then you lose where you are at and must start over, My only thought on that is to clock it down a little but the same is happening to the black one I left clocked at 1.4 Ghz, so I'm confused on that, please suggest something! #3 after installing the OS and AVG, etc, plus Spybot, there is a Spybot logo in the lower right by the time clock, it frequently pops up with a message saying "Spybot has denied registry change". I have installed Spybot on the last eight we built but got this notty little icon on two of them. I feel there might be a connection between these three problems so I'm putting this PC's quirks in one post, otherwise I'll need 12 posts to solve probs on four PCs. Thank you all very much for any help! If you want each question separate please let me know, I don't want to hog all the space. Oh, hey, there's a fourth thing on this one, after profreading this I see it ocassionally skips a letter and I have to go back and fill in the missing letters, is this fourth problem in BIOS something about typesetting? :blink:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open IE, go to the page you want for the home page, click tools, internet options, click use current, click apply, does SpyBot activate?

Did you select tea timer when you installed SpyBot

On a web page, click tools, internet options, delete, files, delete cookies, clear history, confirm, click advanced tab, tick empty temporary internet files folder when the browser closes, tick do not save encrypted pages to disc, click apply, close IE

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot

Open IE, is it set to the page you selected, does SpyBot activate?

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
OK, that all went smoothly for an amature. Did everything you said and when I rebooted, at start up of XP the passing rows of dots went from making 9 passes to just three, however that speeded things a little. Then I opened IE and that Spybot popup was right there. For some reason the bottom 1/2 inch of that popup is always whited-out, so I guess click left side bottom and it says "change allowed" then the Google browser appeared which is what I want. Second, yes I did click yes to tea timer when I installed it. I have no idea what teatimer even is but looked like a good thing to have. What is it? If need to, how do I get rid of it? Just uninstall and reinstall? Thanks a bunch for your help so far!!! I believe you are absolutely on the right track. I get scared when I have to follow multiple step instructions on something I know nothing about, but I feel better already! What next? please continue. :whistling:

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Keith just tried rebooting again, and got that popup when I hit IE. Put the curser on the icon that appears in lower right and says "1176 blacklisted" that's alot for only having this PC together two days. Again did the allow thing and walaa "Google' appeared. I think I should get rid of that little padlock icon down there completely, HOW or should I?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The Resident TeaTimer is a new tool of Spybot-S&D which perpetually monitors the processes called/initiated. It immediately detects known malicious processes wanting to start and terminates them giving you some options, how to deal with this process in the future: You can set TeaTimer to:

be informed, when the process tries to start again
automatically kill the process
or generally allow the process to run
There is also an option to delete the file associated with this process.

In addition, TeaTimer detects, when something wants to change some critical registry keys. TeaTimer can protect you against such changes again giving you an option: You can either "Allow" or "Deny" the change.

As TeaTimer is always running in the background, it takes some resources of about 5 MB.

Why does Resident TeaTimer terminate the application before asking? [link]
Because threats like toll dialers are time critical - they cost from the first second they've connected. In order to protect you, these have to be terminated before they can connect at all, at the moment they appear.

Why is TeaTimer called TeaTimer? [link]
As we used to forget our tea, when we let it brew, we built a small tool with a system tray icon to remind us. We called this tool "TeaTimer".
When we started to develop the Resident tool for Spybot-S&D, we also needed a system tray icon for this. As we do not like having too many icons in the system tray, we decided to put both tools together and kept the name "TeaTimer".

The next version of the Resident tool will also have the functions of the original "TeaTimer".

I expect the missing part includes the option to tick to remember the choice, which is why it keeps showing

Have you got a screenshot of the padlock?

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Attached File  untitled.bmp   47.8KB   184 downloads I'm having quit a time getting you a picture, I'm an electrian not a computer operator. Kept saying it was oversize limit. I think it's attatched here somewhere. I don't see it but says it here. It looks like a padlock on a white paper with blue heading right next to my time clock. It sounds like teatimer is a good thing (as I burn my pot of water almost every morning while I'm messing on the computer, smell that tea bag on fire so much it took the stainless out of the stainless steal pan) Anyway my 11 year old son came up and did something to get a picture of it, I had the camera out but they were too large also. You know I might be a redneck cause I have a Fax machine but when people ask me to fax them something, I take a photo of it and email it. And the three little green dots streaked accross 6 times this time. This problem is big enough that I should do 1 at a time in different posts. Thanks for helping figure this out, you are a sharp cookie I've learned alot on here since starting last week. Need to make my own log. Please continue thumbsup:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you hold the mouse pointer over the padlock, which programme does it say it is for?

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Keith, Google has remained my homepage so I concider this as one down. I will start a new post for the next problem with "Red". If I should stay in the same post while solveing problems on the same PC please let me know. Thank very much, By the way the padlock is still there but after your explanation I'm not so bothered by it and have figured how to "allow" now. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Starting new posts for new questions is good because it gives everyone a chance to look at it while it shows zero replies

Possibly the padlock is there to show it has certain things locked down

Thank You for letting me know