Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp-the horror

• Please log in to reply

dodo

dodo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
the windows xp nightmare- help me! I bought this xp, installed it in January. It worked well at first but I keep losing disc space, to what, I have no clue. I used to have ME. Anyway I keep losing disc space. I get a bubble warning me about it. I do "disc cleanup", HA!, but can't even do system restore `cause you need 200MB to do it. It suggests freeing up more space but when I go to Add/Remove programs there's not much there. AOL and a few things that only add up to 84MB..where do I get 200MB from? I am too scared to start deleting things in my D: drive.On the Windows XP box it recommended 128MB of RAM or higher, which I have! It said 64MB, minimun may limit performance.
I have a Compaq Presario Genuine Intel: 531 Mhz, 128 MB Ram and 2.72 GB. I have simple needs, to use the internet, to let my kid play simple computer games, and to use my printer. I can't even load my Lexmark printer `cause I don't have enough space!! I don't download music or pictures, have no scanner or DVD, no WORD or stuff. What is my computer's major malfunction?? I AM AT MY WITS END! Thank you if you can help me. dodo

Advertisements

Pcyco

Pcyco

• Pip
  • 7 posts
You need a bigger hard-drive. A 2.72 gig drive simply isn't big enough anymore. If your running XP, the minimum Ram you need is 256 megs no matter what Microsoft says. Actually the more the better but with your computer the max it could probably use is 512.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I agree you need a larger hard drive. 40gb hard drives can be purchased for only about $40 now, and it will also speed up your system because of the better hard drive performance.