Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

partition magic poo up - please help!

• Please log in to reply

sache

sache

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi all,

I just got a new 250 gb seagate external drive and i copied 11 gb of data onto it. I then realised I should partition this beast up, so I partitioned it using Partition Magic 8, and now the 11gb of data has disappeared and the 3 partitions I have total up to 11gb less than the drive capacity. It turns out I accidentally cut and pasted the data over rather than copied so all my data seems to have gone :whistling:

Does anyone know if my 11 gb is still there / recoverable and what the best things to try are to get it back.

The exact process I used in partitioning I think was (note all partitions were done in FAT32):

Create a 5gb new partition.
Make this 5gb partion primary.

At this point the disk was: 5gb F drive, 196gb G drive and I noticed that there was a 37 gb unassigned grey area

Make the remaining 196gb G drive logical.
Make the unassigned grey area into a new partition H drive
Label the drives

and the final result displayed in partition magic is:

Partition Type Size MB Used MB Unused MB Status Primary/Logical

FAST SEA (F:) FAT32 5.0... 9.8 4.9... None Primary
(*) Extended 233.4... 233.4... 0 None Primary
BACK UP SEA (H:) FAT32 196.6... 48.0 196.5... None Logical
Local Disk (G:) FAT32 36.8... 9 36.8... None Logical

(no data appears on any of the 3 drive unders windows browser)

Any help/advice on how to recover the 11gb data would be really appreciated... thanks,

Sach

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what you should have done is to 1)resize the original partiion and apply. 2) create the next partion and apply. 3) format partiion. 4) repeat as needed steps 2 and 3.

check disk manager to see if you just need to assign a drive letter.

unfortunately you will probably need to seek professional help in recovering your data if the above steps haven't worked. Its possible, but can be expensive all depending to what difficulty or amount of data.