Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! New Hard Drive Problems **tears**

• Please log in to reply

BBC_

BBC_

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I need some help I follow the instructions, made my original drive the master and the new one the slave drive when I start up the computer It shows up both drives but once I get into windows its doesnt show up in my computer :whistling: I was told to format it but I cant see it :blink: then I went to Western Digital to download the diagnostics software ran the quick test and its says it fine.
I was told it might be a problem with the configeration.
Somebody please make this work :help: :)

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi BBC! Welcome to G2G!

The reason your hard drive isn't showing up in MY COMPUTER is because the drive isn't partitioned and formatted yet. Go to START-->CONTROL PANEL. In the new window that appears, double-click on ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS. Then double-click on COMPUTER MANAGEMENT. Now a new window will appear. In this new window look in the left pane for the title DISK MANAGEMENT, which will be underneath the heading STORAGE. Left-click on DISK MANAGEMENT once. You will now see in the right pane your hard drives and cd/dvd-rom drives listed. look at the bottom of this pane and you will see DISK 0 and DISK 1. What does it say underneath DISK 1?

Fenor

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click on my computer > manage > disk management
do you see the drive in there? if so...right click on it and choose the format option (make sure you format the right drive...not your primary drive)

BBC_

BBC_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanx guys, I had a look but its not there(I even tried the same thing with a friend) :whistling:

Any other suggestions?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did the drive come with a cd from WD? if so put that in your cdrom drive and boot to it (you may have to enter bios and change your boot order)...if they didnt

go here and get the datalife guard for windows program...this will help you set up the drive

BBC_

BBC_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

did the drive come with a cd from WD? if so put that in your cdrom drive and boot to it (you may have to enter bios and change your boot order)...if they didnt

go here and get the datalife guard for windows program...this will help you set up the drive

It wasn't from Western Digital I brought it from here http://www.komplett.....asp?sku=112810 and it came with no cd :an :blink:

I'll try your second option, thanx :whistling:

BBC_

BBC_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanx Dsenette I done what you said now its showing up, but its taken 14GB away from my 200GB(its now 186.31 GB) drive already :whistling: is this normal? if so I will format it now. I dont want to damage anything or lose my 14 GB for no reason :blink:

what should I do???

BBC_

BBC_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Help :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i know that the missing 14 gig isn't "normal"...but it is extremely common...there are drive size limitations built into most systems...i don't usually deal with drives above 80 gigs myself (all my users here at work store files on a network...so i don't need drives in pc's bigger than 80...i don't really need them that big..but what the hey)...so i can't say for sure about EVERYTHING here...but i think a windows update may allow the drive to access the FULL size...
alternately you could use the western digital software again to repartition the drive into two 100 GB partitions and format each of those (preferably as NTFS) and have one for apps and one for data..or one for games and apps and data and one just for music...or whatever you want to do