Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Back UP Service

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

amahesh

amahesh

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Check out www.AllenPort.com .

A simple and straight forward tool that will replace any backup methods you currently use . ( USB/ CD's ) .

It creates a virtual drive on your computer and behaves like an other drive on your PC. Every file you drop in the AllenPort drive gets backed up remotely and you can access your files from anywhere anytime .

The software is very simple to use and has a focused message .

It is in Beta and I think it has great potential .

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That would take forever if you have a couple hundred gigs of files using a standard broadband connection would take forever to uplpad as home users are usually not given a huge amount of upload. If you have another partition anyway short of catastrophic drive failure the data is safe.

Google are also supposed to be trying out a file storage service, being google they have alot of storage space and more people trust them so if they get into this idea then allenport will go down the drain.

amahesh

amahesh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Size of the file and type of connection will affect any kind of upload or download you do using any kind of software. I refuse to see that as a negative.

The difference in AllenPort is the level of security and the robustness of its data center and its ability to restore your data if you lose them.

Agreed people trust google - that does not necessarily take AllenPort downhill. On the other hand if AllenPort takes off then google will go down the drain.

AllenPort is stable and out for users to try

AllenPort is not a web–based storage tool . It is not a PC–TO-PC access tool or synchronization tool.

If you are backing up your files in CDs/ USB sticks or have ever emailed a file to your self then you should install AllenPort and see for yourself all the trouble you are saving.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Time to burn DVD 8 minutes, time to upload 4 gigs almost a full day. Ill stick to DVDs nice and easy. Anything over the internet is inherinatly insecure you can make it more so but its less secure than a DVD or USB pen, and i USB drives are incredibly easy and fast to back up to.

I have a 200Gb hard drive i have filled that and emptied it of data 3 times thats almost 600Gb of files now stored on DVD. Also the fact that it is using your upload all the time will throttle your internet in some cases if not properly set up and if you use a bit torrent downloader then it will cripple that whenever its online.

Ive got aseperate partition for my data save an EMP or a massive power surge the data is very safe, and its all backed up to DVD, its secure utterly safe and mobile sure allenport would be useful for small amounts of data but there are allready a large number of services for auto backup and syncing for under 2 or 3 gigs of data which is the max practical limit really online storage given current communications standards.

You can refuse to see a hardware limitation as a negative but it is, large scale online backup is inherinatly impractical given current hardware. And small levels its got alot of comeptition.

amahesh

amahesh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
In my humble opinion … backing up on DVD’s is a short term solution.
Just how many DVD’s are you going to keep stocking?
Let alone the time taken to label them and keep them in order so that you can actually locate the file when you need it.
Do you really want to travel with these DVD’s every time you want to share something? “I have that information but it is on a DVD in my house in my study in that closet and labeled #124 “
Aren’t we are all in the constant lookout for options to easily secure and access our files.

The way AllenPort is designed may be the first time you install it and start putting your existing files in it, it would take the time you are estimating ( can’t deny that ) . But if you make AllenPort you backup tool, you will use the drive it creates just like any other drive on your computer and every file you drop there will get backed up instantly .
I think it ‘s ease of use is just perfect . (My answer to the other competitors) .

Now about security :
Again , I strongly believe that DVd’s / cds / usb sticks are short term solutions and gives you a sense of security because you have them with you all the time . Today it is DVD what if tomorrow it is EVD .. we will start looking for a tool that converts DVD's to EVD.
Honestly ..I do not want to deal with any hardware solutions to backup my data .
BTW, below is Allen Port’s reply on security:
1. We have our “Privacy Policy” and “License Agreement “in place which will address any legal concerns you might have.
2. Currently the data you insure with us is at our data center in Dallas. We backup daily and can restore an account within 2 hours. We are looking at adding a second redundant data center in London soon. This would give us an additional layer of redundancy if there was a critical failure in Dallas.
3. And apart from the above remember you always have a copy on your data in you local AllenPort drive. (Even if you are not connected to the internet just logging into AllenPort will give you access to all your files, once you are online the files in AllenPort drive will get backed up on our server.)
4. Right now we transfer files using a secure transfer protocol, however in version 1 we will have full file encryption eliminating any concerns users might have about files getting intercepted by the web traffic.
About Speed:
If takes time , let it . You don't have to sit around watching it or stop using the AllenPort drive or your Pc when it is backing up your files . The job will be done , isn't that all matters .

Hey give it a try ..I like it ..I am sure you will too :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
amahesh.....it's obvious that you work for allenport....you've made the case for their product...that's enough...if someone wants to use the services...then they will...if not...they wont...i'm putting this thread to bed as it is serving no real purpose other than being an advertisement...please refrain from making another post on the subject.