Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP (SP2) continually rebooting after Windows update.

• Please log in to reply

Miroslav

Miroslav

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello guys! It is great to have this site available!

Here is what my problem is. I have a genuine Windows XP (Service Pack 2) operating system. Recently I reinstalled my system. When I tried to download the latest updates from the Microsoft site it went ok but after rebooting the system it just keeps on rebooting and never stops. The computer cannot enter Save mode or any other repair mode when I try to do so it reboots again! My BIOS version is the latest available and so are my chipset drivers. My system is as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton (overclocked to 3200+)
Motherboard EPOX 8RDA+Pro
Chipset nFORCE 2 Ultra
BIOS: Award BIOS Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
RAM 512 MB, Dual Mode

I reinstalled the system and the problem was back. I reinstalled it once more and now I haven’t downloaded the updates, waiting for solution. I will greatly appreciate some help with this!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you make a note of the specific update?

Miroslav

Miroslav

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello, Keith thanks very much for answering!!
I try to download all the critical updates needed for my computer, apart from the Service Pack 2 already installed on my computer. The list of the specific updates is in the attached file along with their descriptions. I don’t know which one of them may cause the problem.
Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks again, Keith.
[font=Tahoma]

Attached Files

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this a list of the updates you have already installed, or could get

Miroslav

Miroslav

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This is the list of the updates I could get.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc defragmenter

Run an anti virus scan

Use custom install at Microsoft Update

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

When it shows you the list, untick all but the top five, install those

Click start, control panel, add / remove, tick show updates and note down the additional ones (KB1234567)

Reboot and check the PC runs, if so, return to Microsoft Update, select custom install, get the list, remove the ticks from all but the top five, install, check in add / remove, add the new ones to the list

Reboot and check the PC

Although longwinded, you won't have much to remove if and when it shows an error

Miroslav

Miroslav

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks a lot! I will try and write back afterwards.

tschrock

tschrock

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Can you boot into Safe Mode? If you can, disable the automatic restart feature.

To do this, boot into Safe Mode then click on Start, right click on My Computer, and left click on properties. Left click on the Advanced Tab and uncheck "Automatically Restart."

Now reboot your PC and see what the blue screen says. If you can, post the specific error here. Thanks!

Miroslav

Miroslav

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello again Keith!
I followed your advice. The system runs OK now. Thank you again. I will recommend this site to my friends. It is a really good one! Nice work! Thanks again!
Tschrock, thank you too for answering my request.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know