Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP & 98 Networking, File/Printer Sharing

• Please log in to reply

CWT

CWT

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Dear GTG -

I am setting up a network between an XP and WIN98 PC. I am using a 2Wire 1000SW as my DSL/Router and hub/switch. The XP is using an ehternet connection and the WIN98 PC is using a wireless PCM card.

The XP is connecting to the internet fine. However, it can't see the WIN98 PC. THe Win98 PC doesn't connect to the internet or see the XP PC. The wireless connectivity indicator shows a good signal.

How can I get these two PC's to open up and talk with one another? How do I get the WIN98 PC to connect to the internet and use the printer?

Also, please note that I just FDISK'ed the WIN98 PC hard drive and started over with every thing. It appears to be working fine.

Thanks for your help!!

- C-Man :whistling:

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi CWT
Have you run the network setup from the xp cd on the 98 machine ?
To start the Network Setup Wizard

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Start the Network Setup Wizard

Follow the instructions on your screen.

Important
• Before running the Network Setup Wizard, make sure your network hardware is installed and working properly on all of the computers on your network.

• Before running the Network Setup Wizard on computers running Windows 98 Second Edition or Windows Millennium Edition, make sure Internet Connection Sharing is disabled on these computers.

Top of page
Note
• To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections. Under Common Tasks, click Network Setup Wizard.

• Run the Network Setup Wizard on the host computer first. The host computer is the one that will share its Internet connection.

• During the Network Setup Wizard, it is recommended that you create a floppy disk to run the Network Setup Wizard on Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium computers on your network.

• The Network Setup Wizard can only be run on computers using Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, or Windows XP.

If your machine does not have a floppy drive you can run this of the CD by puting it in the 98 machine

Edited by peterm, 09 June 2006 - 05:49 PM.

CWT

CWT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Dear Peterm -

I have completed the task you described already with no results. Someone got this working for me once before ( ie- before the WIN98 PC was corrupted). However, I only vaguely remember that there was something unique that he did because of the 2WIRE hub/switch.

Please let me know what else I could do.

Thanks again

- C-man :whistling:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Do you have a network card in the 98 machine ?

CWT

CWT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hmmmm... I have a PCM card that contains a wireless remote device.

THis is what connects to the 2Wire device.

I hope that answers your questions.

- C

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
sorry fo the delay we have 2 topics with the same heading.
So you do not have a ethernet connection on the 98 machine like you do on the XP machine, Is that correct. or are you just wanting to use the wireless pcm card. I am thinking that if you also have an ethernet on the 98 and you can plug it in to the 2 wire device we then look at getting the machines to talk to one another then try and sort out the wirless connection.
On the 98 machine right click on network neighbourhood>propertities>configuration tab. What is listed in here?

CWT

CWT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Peterm -

There are seven items listed in the Netwrok Neighborhood configuration tab:

Client for Microsoft Networks
Micorsoft Family Logon
2Wire Wireless PC Card
DialUp Adaptors
TCP/IP->2Wire Wirelss Card
TCP/IP->Dial-Up Adaptors
File & Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks

All of these are enabled for file and print sharing.

THe primary network logon is from "Windows Login".

When I click on Network Neighborhood icon, it shows an Icon for "Entire Network". When that icon is clicked, a pop-up states, "Unable to browse the network THe network is unaccessible. "

Thanks
- C

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
OK highlight tcp/ip for 2 wire click on properties click on Ip address tab
make sure obtian ip address is checked. Click on idenification tab
What is listed next to workgroup.
We need to make sure the xp and 98 are both in the same workgroup
Normally called workgroup.
On xp if you right click my computer then properties you should see the name under network identification

CWT

CWT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Peterm -

Obtain IP Address is checked on both PC's

The workgroup for both PC's is the same.

- C

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok what I type in blue is what you type the ^ = a space
at the commnd prompt of both computers ipconfig enter
they should have a similar looking IP address eg 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2.
whilst still at the command prompt type in ping (then the address of the other machine) enter eg ping ^192.168.0.1
what happens. Do this from both computes

Also make sure your firewall is not stopping access
have you run the setup wizard on both computers ?
This site has the file and the manual if you do not have the CD
2 wire
This site has a video on how to setup the euipment
2 wire video
Please let me know if you need more help setting this up

Edited by peterm, 14 June 2006 - 12:06 PM.

CWT

CWT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Peterm -

Both Computers could ping the win98 PC. The xp could ping itself. The WIN98 PC could not ping the XP machine. I am not sure how to adjust my forewall if this is a problem.

I have installed the 2wire software on both machines.

Thanks
- C

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
To open Windows Firewall

Click Start and then click Control Panel.

In the control panel, click Windows Security Center.

Click Windows Firewall.

turn the firewall off but don't surf the internet
try to ping from the 98 machine to the xp machine.
Turn the firewall back on before going on to the internet.

CWT

CWT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Peterm -

Success! It was the McAfee firewall. I haven't updated my subscription and I thought it was gone. But it is working. I was able to give it the Win 98 PC IP and it lets it through. I am even able to use the printer from the WIN 98 PC, now.

Thanks for your help - it was the pinging that really got me to think about what was going on.

- C :whistling: :blink:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Nice one and good work :whistling:

Edited by peterm, 18 June 2006 - 07:11 AM.