Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vanishing Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Street1, I looked at the microsoft link. That looks like I will definantly need my sons help with that. Is that for my "Internet has encountered an error" problem or the constantly closing the Internet Explorer that I'm on when I open another problem. That error problem is very annoying but at least I can line up the pages on the bottom of the screen instead of only one at a time, finally. I'm thrilled with one down but I'll sit tight for more info. Thanks for your support too!!!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad to solve at least one of your problems! :whistling:

I would try the repair installation of Internet Explorer like street1 suggested. It is very possible that IE got corrupted due to the windows being shut down all the time when you tried to open a new window. Worth a shot and can't hurt anything.

Fenor

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
YEP, the "IE has encountered an error' problem is still shutting me down this morning. I gotta get my 11 year old to help me with the repair. I can put em together but I can't program. WE will try to tie into that this afternoon. Thank you guys and please stay with us. It's an unexplored forest to me!!! Kurke P.S. Definantly can have several things open now which is really great! :whistling:

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
That little guy deleted Internet explore completly, then reinstalled it. Now I don't know if I have to go through all the changes again or not. Just trying to make it do the "error" thing right now.

Edited by crunch, 17 June 2006 - 03:15 PM.

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
WOW!!! You guys didn't tell me "Internet Explorer SEVEN" was out, instead of SIX!!! This is a whole different look. Almost like having a new OS. Going to take awhile to get used to, did just get that dang "IE Error" message again but don't know if it's going to happen every five minutes still. So far only had to reboot once. Later and thanks alot guys, New PC, New OS, New IE, Plus Settings, We've come a long way in one week!!! :whistling:

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
This "Internet Explorer has encountered an error" and must close is driving me nuts, yes it's still doing it with 7. We have to reboot every five minutes. WE now have IE 7 and Google, Some good looking improvements but almost useless. Going to put another one together tomorrow and buy another OS from Staples instead of Walmart. Will be useing a Biostar instead of Asus motherboard tomorrow but still gotta get the bugs out of this one. Thanks and please continue to reply with ANY suggestions, PLEASE. Kurke :whistling:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have your XP CD handy?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and /scannow)
  • Once the blue bar goes away, reboot your computer.
SFC - System File Checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

Fenor

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Fenor, Got it done,too late to try much out yet. Street1 ,If you are around, I was unable to log in computing.net tonight. About to give up on them and stay with this fine bunch. I can tell where I'm welcome. Hope to see you on more, You are a sharp cookie and would be an asset here! :whistling: :blink:

Edited by crunch, 17 June 2006 - 03:16 PM.

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Fenor, street1 and and everybody else that could please help, I think its time for a new post. We've covered alot of ground with this good looking "RED" Asus thing but I'm still having to reboot every five minutes, even tried Mozilla Firefox. This thread seems to have gone dead and we've solved many problems but I think I will need to format and reinstall. I just put another Biostar together this week and for the heck of it I used the same OS CD (yes I did buy another one from Staples but left it sealed for now) from the red one and have never had to reboot yet. Did all the cleaners and protection from downloads dot com exactly the same just no Microsoft updates yet. Running IE 6 and all settings just the way it installed, it is SP2 and all is well on Biostar while the Asus has all updates and mods plus IE 7 then Firefox, to no avail. IE errors and a few others constantly. My only thought is to start all over. One more final second opinion please!!! :whistling: :blink: :help:

street1

street1

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
:whistling: First of all Nic ain't supposed to be using IERadicator or whatever he did.

Second IE7 BETA 2 is still in the test process.You should wait for the release not use Beta.

You really need to format the beast and start over.IE6 is deeply integrated into Windows
so tell Nic to behave.

I sent an e-mail to Justin concerning your re-instatement a few minute ago so maybe you
will hear from him soon.

I am still proud to see 11 year old Nic and his father doing what your supposed to do.

He is lucky to have you there. :blink:

Advertisements

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thanks Street. To those of you that don't know. Whereever this Street guy is lurking, he's dang sharp on computers and helps me keep a watch on my son's activities (who needs it, we know) :whistling: .
He's a true friend!!! Thanks for all the times you have helped Street. Kurke Curl (crunch) By the way I fried 768mb ram in red last night salvaged one only 512mb.

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
For the sake of laughs, I'll elaborate on how to ruin your RAMs. I was screwing around overclocking this red beast. The new BIOS are great for trying, as they give a few choices of multipliers or auto and FSB choices in every increment from 66 through 200 and something plus voltages in .05 increments. As I pushed the limit in each one it would nolonger boot till you cleared CMOS. Unlike my Biostars and Microstars with jumpers my Asus's have two little solder tits you have to short. My briliant idea with flashlight and magnifying glass (some of you are unaware of my poor eyesight) I proceed to solder a reset switch to the solder lands on the Mobo. Then be sure to drizzle a little solder on a few microchips and reboot and walaa. BIOS beeps galore, no graphics, several graphic cards later (as the book said those beeps were vidio memory) I started checking the RAMs and discovered they were all dead, four slots. I now have three slots that work, but was testing the RAMs in the newest PC and unknown to me one of those white holddown clips came loose on the new one. You should have seen the smoke roll out of that one. So the newest PC melted one 256RAM and the red PC killed three 256RAMs yet the 512 miraculessly started working when I switched it to a different slot. I got the solder off but there is one bad RAM slot. if I put anything in it all you get is black screen and beeps. Anybody have an idea how to restore the forth slot? You all have a good laugh and a great day. Thanks for all the help and anymore suggestions.

Edited by crunch, 16 June 2006 - 06:33 PM.

crunch

crunch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
This is the GRAND FINALLY!!! "RED" has never done an "ERROR" since it killed the RAMs. Running on 1024mb now instead of 1300mb, it hasn't been rebooted in three days. Had to be a RAM problem, TOO MUCH??? or DEFECTIVE??? Comment if you will, I'm confused but working good with a bad RAM slot. 3 out of 4 aint bad! Plus overclocked an extra 202Mhz.

Edited by crunch, 17 June 2006 - 03:07 PM.