Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overheating problems?

• Please log in to reply

Jajo

Jajo

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hello,

We got this custom built computer from a company named "xtreme gear". Here is some specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (754 pin) CPU w/ hyper transport technology
Case:X-BLADE Mid-Tower 450W w/ window and LCD temerature Display+ Fan control
Motherboard: Abit KV8 Pro VIA k8Tt800 Chipset AGP8X w/ LAN, USB2, and Audio
RAM: 2x 512 PC3200 400 MHz

Ok, Thats the important specs...It also has this thing called "Corecell Extreme chip" built into it. This computer worked for about a month, and then everything started going wrong with it. Well, we got most of it fixed, but now when you turn the computer on, everything seems to turn on, but it emits 20 shorts beeps?! Now, im familiar with BIOS beep codes, but 20? As I mentioned the case earlier, it has a LCD Temp display on it. It said the cpu was at 168 degrees (F)! So, I took the processor out, and put new thermal paste onto it, set it back in, and made sure everything was right and turned it back on....And it still did the same thing. There are 4 fans that seem to be running just fine in it, but there is no screen showing up, 20 beeps, and it just wont boot anything up! Can anyone help me with this? Ive tried many different things, but im stumped...Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Justin

Edited by Jajo, 09 June 2006 - 05:41 PM.

Advertisements

0vermind

0vermind

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Check you memory make sure it is in tight and snug, same with your Video Card. Grab a can of air and gently blow around pc part to get rid of any dust that maybe heating up or getting in the way of components.

If all else fails grab your warenty and take your computer back to where you got it and explain what happend (call them first), they will most likly help you fix it.

Jajo

Jajo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hey,

Well thats just the thing...I reseated everything as a last resort... I made sure everything was fit and snug, and no dust or anything was there after blowing it out... And yet the pc still seems to be saying something about overheating. It says the cpu is at 168.2 F... The warranty ran out in March... So we really cant go get anything replaced or get help in fixing it. I was thinking...Could the heat sink gone bad? Or maybe the power supply is malfunctioning and saying that it is overheating? Im still baffled lolz...But the help would be very useful, Thanks!

-Justin

Jajo

Jajo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
BUMP!!!

Hey, Still in dire need...Can anyone help me? It would be awesome!

-Justin

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Jajo...

Continuous short beeps can indicate several things.

Power Supply...Check all the connections to the motherboard and the drives. Make sure all connections are secure.

Motherboard...Check to see that the motherboard is not shorting to the chassis (Are the stand-offs installed ONLY under the mouting holes?) Do you see any bulging, leaking, or discolored capacitors? (row of up-right cylinders near the processor) Broken traces within the motherboard can also cause this.

Memory...Check the memory sticks, switch them around if there is more than one. (make sure they are firmly "snapped" into the slots) Try booting with only one stick installed at a time. (be sure to power down and unplug the computer before doing this...always touch a metal part of the case before touching anything inside)

Video Card...Remove the video card and reinstall it, making sure it is firmly seated in the slot. Check to see that it is not getting real hot as soon as power is applied.

CPU...Double check the thermal paste between the cooler and the CPU. (too much is as bad as too little) Check that there are no bent pins on the processor and that it is firmly "locked" into the socket.

Are you sure you are not hearing groups of beeps? Some BIOS versions have repeating series of ten or eleven beeps which indicate other problems.

wannabe1

Jajo

Jajo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hey,

No, not groups of beeps... Just a bunch of beeping at one time! The motherboard seems to be hooked up correctly...Could it be a bad processor malfunctioning? Maybe it got shorted and now is misreading temps so the computer wont turn on? Or could the video card be bad? I know..To many questions so little answers... @_@

-Justin

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Usually when a processor goes bad or shorts out, as you put it, you get nothing. The continuous beeps like you're getting usually lead to some type of a power issue or bad memory, but as I stated earlier, it can mean other things, too.

Have you tried to boot the machine with only one stick of RAM installed? Do you have another video card you can try? How about a spare power supply?