Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's better?

• Please log in to reply

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Currently I have 2 sticks of 512 MB RAM running in dual channel. I'm planning on upgrading to 2 GB RAM. Would I be better off getting 2 more 512 MB sticks or getting a single 1 GB stick? Wouldn't a single 1 GB stick force my other sticks out of dual channel? Is it possible to run 4 sticks of 512 as 2 sets of dual channel?

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well what type of motherboard do you have sometimes motherboards can reduce the sppeds of the FSb or HTT i think they call it if its AMD but that all depends on the specs of your motherboard

having a punt i think that it should be fine to get two more sticks of 512 as long as they are the same speed as your other ram and preferably the same make some different types of RAM are not compatable with each other it would be best and safest to buy RAM of the same brand.

what type of motherboard do you have?

and i see this is step 1 of the planned upgrade! but hate to rain on your parade but i would buy the 7950 it is a way expensive card and yeah it seems good but with direct x10 coming out just around the corner as soon as you buy it it will be out of date within a flash.
i would suggest just waiting for DX10 to come out then upgrade to a better card

troppo

Edited by troppo, 10 June 2006 - 02:37 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
you would be better with 2 1gb sticks, 4 512 sticks have there own problems same with adding another single gig stick.

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
I think I have this motherboard: Foxconn C51GU01. I'm not entirely sure, because it's a prebuilt PC.
I am definately not getting rid of my existing 2x512MB sticks to get 2x1GB sticks. I'm either going 4x512 or 2x512 and 1x1GB. I think I'll probably get 4x512 sticks. What are the problems that this may cause?

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
having all four slots taken up with RAM can can slow down the memory speeds down and the FSB speeds
( or HTT)
and you dont want to do this but having read some specs on your motherboard it can handle up to 4 gigs of memory its a bit of a stab in the dark but it should be fine as long as the pairs match.
troppo

p.s 250 posts with many more to go!!! :whistling:

Edited by troppo, 11 June 2006 - 01:13 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah it can lower the speed on many boards and de activate dual channel, you are better with just the wxtra single gig stick, but like i said the two 1Gb sticks is best because it lets you preserve dual channel if you have it.