Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP is slow

• Please log in to reply

greatjinesh

greatjinesh

• Pip
  • 4 posts
my computer hs got both XP and 98.
XP is very slow . RAM is 512 MB (single) , but still XP is very slow . the games and other
applications are quick . also certain things such as "regedit" , task manager donot work . a messsage comes " another program is currently using this file" . adaware donot find any object which is very critical . right click on start bar , and then "task manager" nothing comes . also the way search results display in "search" has also changed . i hav disabled all except 2 in the msconfig startup list . but still its slow. is there any prob with registry ? how can u clean up the registry and start from the begining ? i once reinstalled XP but the same desktop came afetr al tht process . theres sumthing called "great memo" which even adaware dint find , but i deleted it from its folder . yahoo msngr takes bit longtime to sign in too; but games are quick. but therse no prob in 98 . yahoo msgr is super quick in 98 . so wats the problem ? is it spyware ? or probs in registry ? pls help .

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi greatjinesh...

This does, indeed, sound like it could be malware related. The first thing to do is make sure that both operating systems are malware free. To avoid confusion during this process, do one operating system at a time starting with XP.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions you find there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1