Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External drive problems

• Please log in to reply

owlsfan_72

owlsfan_72

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had an external Seagate hard drive and everything was fine with it. When I went to plug in my new Samsung external DVD Recorder, the Seagate Hard Drive had changed drives. It was previously the G Drive and now it's the I Drive. I've got my Itunes and a lot of software on the external HD and my computer is struggling to find everything.

Is there a way to change the HD back to being the G Drive? Funnily enough the DVD writer called itself the F Drive so i've no idea why it needed to change the letter of the HD.

I'm running them both from a Vaio with Xp and a PCMCIA USB2.0 card.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

sage5

sage5

RIP 10/2009

• Retired Staff
  • 2,646 posts
Hi owlsfan_72,

My suggestion is to click Start>Help & Support.

At the top of the page that opens type "Drive letter", without the quotes, into the search box.

The short search should yield around 30 hits, 3 of which should appear in the area below the search box.

Click on the link to "Assign, change, or remove a drive letter" and follow the prompts.

I have been able to set the drive letter for a USB thumb drive that way in the past.

Cheers

sage5

owlsfan_72

owlsfan_72

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Cheers Sage. That worked and I can stop pulling my hair out now. Thanks :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You should try to avoid installing software on anything other than an internal HDD to ensure the safe operation of your applications, externals are great for data but as you have seen are a bit of a pain at times for applications.