Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to make space on C-Drive

• Please log in to reply

Adrian1974

Adrian1974

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have over 6.83GB total space on C-Drive but only 821MB free. Programs take up 2.75GB, Windows 1.64GB & 1.14GB in Documents and Settings, (so thats 5.53 total). There are other bits and pieces but I cant find 1.3Gig worth.

Any tips for making some more space on this drive?

I notice that my oulook pst file (about 400Mb) sits in C:\Documents and Settings\enViro\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook, can I move that?

Advertisements

ajcool123

ajcool123

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

can I move that?

So you have another hard drive to move your files to? Try doing a Disk Cleanup. It's not going to remove a lot but it will help.

start > programs > accessories > system tools > disk cleanup

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
You can run Disk Cleanup to get some more space.

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.

There are also some free tools that you can use to clean up your disk that are a little more powerful than the one that came wit WinXP. I use CCleaner. It has more options and can clean more items than Disk Cleanup can.

Edited by fructose, 10 June 2006 - 08:59 AM.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
I also found this article explaining how to move your .pst file. I've never moded it, but I know it can be done. This article does a decent job explaining it.

Edited by fructose, 10 June 2006 - 09:03 AM.

Adrian1974

Adrian1974

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
good stuff, thanks fructose!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Also, run disc clean up, click more options, clean up restore points, click OK then hold the cursor over the OK at bottom until the hourglass goes, or the red part of the CPU light goes off

Adrian1974

Adrian1974

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Cheers again Keith. I have another query you may be able to help with?

I have had MS office 2000 premium installed for ages. A while ago I got hold of MS Office pro 2003 and installed that. In 'Add/remove programs' I can see both of these programs. Will I cause any problems if I remove the older version of Office?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There is an outside chance the uninstaller could get confused with the version of Outlook, the data within Outlook is about the only thing you could lose by uninstalling anything to do with Office

So, the options are, take a chance on add / remove only uninstalling Outlook 2000 data

OR

Back up the Outlook 2003 data in case, you can keep the back up on the drive then delete it if the Outlook 2003 data remains in place

http://support.micro...kb/287070/en-us

Removing 2000 should be good for 500 - 900MB of drive space

Adrian1974

Adrian1974

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
nice one keith, I'll stash my pst & bak on another drive and uninstall office 2000. I'll let you know if I survive it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well, though once you have checked the Outlook back up you could uninstall both versions

Installing with the complete, run all from the computer option and leaving the installation files on the drive is a good way of installing Office

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
you could also look at using the Windows installer clean up utility to look for Office 2000 installation files, download link included

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;290301

Adrian1974

Adrian1974

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Keith, just to let you know all went well, cleared out office 2000, everything still works, and I now have 1.3Gb free on C-drive. So all good. I really appreciate all your help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know