Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1GB Single Banked Unregistered RAM

• Please log in to reply

Muzicole

Muzicole

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there,

Just spent all week trying to upgrade my RAM to 3GB. Evenutally, having evidently asked the right question, the mobo manufacturer ECS has informed me that the KT400 chip on my L7VTA only supports three single banked DIMMS at 333MHz, not double ones as supplied to me by Crucial. The only way I can get double banked to work is slow down the FSB to 266MHz and that isn't acceptable to me as I need both the RAM and good processor speed for sample and plugin based music production. The mobo documentation says nothing officially about this!

Does anyone know where I can get 1GB single banked unregistered (ECC or non-ECC) modules? The only stuff I've found that's single banked is registered and the mobo spec says no.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Muz

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Do a search for this kingston ram.

KVR333X64C25/1G

SRX660

Muzicole

Muzicole

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there,

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

Surely KVR333X64C25/1G RAM is the same spec as this RAM that I have from Crucial...

CT12864Z335

http://www.crucial.c...ULE=CT12864Z335

I thought that 128M x 64 meant that it is double banked. The motherboard manufacturers tell me now that, despite not saying anything about it in the manual, the board supports a maximum of 3GB as stated, but only in 3 Single Banked modules, because of a limitation of the KT400 (northbridge) chip. They say that 3 double banked modules are supported, but only at a clock speed of 266MHz. My processor runs at 333MHz and so is stupidly slow at 266MHz. The only way to run 3GB at full speed is to use Single Banked RAM. I'm guessing that would be 256M x 32?

If the Kingston RAM is Single, how can I tell that from the printed spec?

I haven't been able to identify any RAM as Single Banked, apart from a couple of Registered modules, which my board also can't support. I fear there may be no such thing as PC2700 1GB Unregistered Single Bank RAM.

If not, then I'll probably have to opt to stop at 2GB in order to run the processor properly.

Thanks for any more info.

Muz

Muzicole

Muzicole

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi again,

I'm still seeking confirmation that the Kingston RAM mentioned is single bank and will therefore work at 333MHz with my L7VTA motherboard. I need to do that before returning any RAM to to Crucial. The RAM Crucial sent me is double banked and therefore, due to a limitation in the KT400 chip on the board, I can only run all 3GB at 266MHz, which results in my processor slowing down. It is theoretically possible to run 3GB at 333MHz with single bank ram, but I can't find out if it is available, and apparently you can't tell from the spec!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Any help appreciated.

Muz

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Sorry to say that the kingston ram i mentioned is double sided. Today i recieved 2 computer kits that had ram installed. One kit had the kingston ram in it and it's double sided. The other kit i ordered from tiger direct and it has the Ultra brand ram in it. This is a 512mb DDR 400 single sided stick of ram.

http://www.tigerdire...6829&CatId=1043

I do not know if the 1 gig sticks are single sided but i assume they are the same since i also have 2 ultra 256Mb DDR 400 sticks and they are single sided as well.

http://www.tigerdire...1020&CatId=1043

Hope this helps
SRX660