Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Auto Restart

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's hide that update so it won't install automatically again. Click Start, point to "All Programs" and click on "Windows Update" in the top part of the left pane in the menu. Once at the update site, click on the "Custom" button, and let it scan your machine for available updates.

When the scan finishes you will be presented with a list of available updates. Find KB911567 in the list and click the + sign next to it. Once expanded, there will be a checkbox underneath the information on the update ("Don't show this update again")...put a tick in this box. This will prevent the update from downloading automatically each time your machine updates.

There is something calling up that camera software...we need to find what that something is. Pay close attention to what you are doing when the error occurs...or more precisely, what the machine is doing. Does it happen when loading or viewing an image? Any particular application that is being used when it happens? Let's try to find a common thread.

Advertisements

katja

katja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
its been mostly happening lately when i'm on the web. but it has happened when i'm just working in another program. its never happened when I used the camera to upload a picture. and i've had this camera almost a year and this error is relatively recent. when I called polaroid they ran me thru safely removing the hardware and then suggested i talk to my computer administrator (which is me) since its my home computer.

katja

katja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
It just happened again w the auto restart thing. I was working in my Excel and there are no errors listed in either system or application logs.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. Uncheck the box next to "Automatically Restart" and "Apply the Change.

The next time the machine crashes, it will generate a BSOD that will have information on the cause. Post the cause and the numbers associated with it here for me.

katja

katja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I unchecked that auto restart when all this first happened. Is the BOSD info what comes up in the event log after it crashes? If it is, then there hasn't been a log for the last two times its crashed.

katja

katja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
here we go again with the restarting thing. here's the main issue event ID 6009: 2600 service pack 2 uniprocessor free. event id 1003: computer unable to renew its address from the DHCP server. with address 000F66149B6F. MRxSmB event ID:8003 master browser has received a server announcement from the computer claus2 ( my dad's computer by which I am linked via wireless) that believes its the master browser for the domain on the transport NetBT_Tcpip {6D588125-1677-4C96-94}
HELP!