Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

very basic question on upgrade

• Please log in to reply

T-dub

T-dub

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My pc is running a Intel D915GLVG motherboard (775 socket) which has onboard graphics, I need to up grade graphics badly for gaming (CCS).. now my problem is this, the D915GLVG has not got either a AGP or a PCI-Express socket (making upgrading graphics impossible as far as i know). My question is this, if i put in a new motherboard and graphics card with my current HDD and other hardware in it will it boot from my current OS with all my current settings/installations intact or are things not that simple, would i have to re load windows ect and carry out an effective re-build?

if this is possible what problems am i likely to encounter?

Thanks for your time, and i apologise for any inaccuracies in my description my knowlage of computer hardware is very new and lacking to say the least so relatively easy to understand instruction would be appreciated.

T-dub! :whistling: :blink:

Edited by T-dub, 11 June 2006 - 05:21 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then + next to motherboard, click motherboard, look for expansion slots, PCI is OK to upgrade to

T-dub

T-dub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Is this the information you were suggesting i turn up..
Posted Image

do you man i can get a graphics card to fit in to a regular PCI socket?

if so can you point me towards one.

i would still like know if what i initially suggested is possible as im likely to want to upgrade further in the future (born fiddler) and i think as a half decent motherboard would be a good base for this, if i can get one in there now without causing too much disturbance.

Edited by T-dub, 11 June 2006 - 05:35 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
ATI Radeon 9200

System Requirements
Intel® Pentium® 4/III/II/Celeron™, AMD® K6/Duron™/Athlon®/Athlon XP® or compatible with AGP 2X (3.3V), 4X (1.5V), 8X (0.8v) or Universal AGP 3.0 bus configuration (2X/4X/8X) or PCI bus.
64MB of system memory
Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
DVD playback requires DVD drive

It shows a PCI-E slot?

T-dub

T-dub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

ATI Radeon 9200

System Requirements
Intel® Pentium® 4/III/II/Celeron™, AMD® K6/Duron™/Athlon®/Athlon XP® or compatible with AGP 2X (3.3V), 4X (1.5V), 8X (0.8v) or Universal AGP 3.0 bus configuration (2X/4X/8X) or PCI bus.
64MB of system memory
Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
DVD playback requires DVD drive

I think that is a yes, so thanks Keith for your help

It shows a PCI-E slot?

Its highly likely that my lacking knowlage is hindering my forward progress in this, yes it does show a PCI-E x1 socket, but a have yet to see a graphics card which fits one, as far as i know all or most of the graphics cards which use PCI-E use PCI-E Architecture x16??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
:whistling: check with the PC shop you will get the Radeon from

Nvidia may also have a PCI card

T-dub

T-dub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I hope X1 means there is one on the board

having looked at my mother board and its stats on the intel website, i think it does not..

Posted Image

Edited by T-dub, 11 June 2006 - 06:05 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes, I noticed the way it is show in Everest, usually they have whatever x1 or x3, then I saw it specifically had 1 PCI-E, sorry

T-dub

T-dub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i understand.. thank you very much for you help :whistling: