Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Low virtual mem and can't send/reply in Yahoo email

• Please log in to reply

PCdinosaur

PCdinosaur

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:whistling: I'm sure there is a special place in heaven for techs who help people with computer problems!
Please move this if I didn't post in the correct area.
#1 I keep getting a virtual memory is low warning. #2 I cannot send mail or open attachments in my Yahoo mail. I know it helps to be as detailed as possible, so here I go:

I have Microsoft XP Pro Service Pack 2, an intel pent. 3 processor, 730 MHz and 128 MB of ram. I tried to solve the problem, so I changed the virtual memory to "system managed size" which is 190 MB I believe.

I also did a scan of my computer- I think it was called spyware dr. and there are two things on my computer called media gateway and lovefreegames toolbar. <<Are they dangerous? But I don't know how to take them off.

Second problem- I (recently)can't send or reply to my Yahoo mail. And I cannot view jpeg images in Yahoo. However, I can do these things in my other (not Yahoo) e-mail account.

When I try to send an e-mail in Yahoo I get a yellow triangle with an ! in it and it says error on pg.

Here are two other things I tried at Yahoo's advice:
ENABLING JAVASCRIPT FOR INTERNET EXPLORER 6.0:
1. Select "Tools" and click "Internet Options".
2. Switch to the "Security" tab.
3. Under the "Internet" zone, select a Medium or Medium Low setting.
4. Click the "Apply" button.
5. Click the "OK" button.
6. Close out and relaunch your browser.

If the issue persists after lowering security settings or enabling
JavaScript support in your browser, consider disabling browser add-ons
or plug-ins.

DISABLING INTERNET EXPLORER 6.x ADD-ONS:

1. Close out of all instances of the Internet Explorer browser.
2. Select "Start", "Settings", then click "Control Panel".
3. Double-click on "Internet Options".
4. Select the "Advanced" tab.
5. Under "Browsing", remove the "Enable third-party browser extensions
(requires restart)" check box.
6. Relaunch the Internet Explorer browser.
No luck. :blink:

This is a Dell Dimension 4100 bought in 1998 with Windows 98, Second Edition. I have a high speed cable connection. I had someone dump the Windows 98 and had Windows XP Pro put on.
Here is info I found on my computer:
Total physical memory: 128 MB
avail physical memory: 43.53 MB
Total virtual memory: 2.00 GB
Avail. virtual memory: 1.96 GB
page fil space 306.04 MB

Would it help to dump some of my old word documents? Or take off some photos that are stored? (I defrag and also delete temp int. files/ and cookies)
Should my firewall be on? Someone told me xp pro shouldn't have a firewall turned on.
Shouldn't the "computer guy" have known that xp pro would be too much for this computer?!?!
*** Any clue why all of a sudden I can't send or reply in my Yahoo e-mails?*** This is the biggest of my problems at this moment. (Going stir crazy)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP! (Think I must face the fact that when the summer semester ends mid-Aug, I will need to buy a new computer.)

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
It looks like you are pushing WinXP's limits with your computer. That may be one of your problems, but it also sounds like you have some malware on there.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

PCdinosaur

PCdinosaur

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So far I found 114 low risk threats with the first scan. Deleted them- cookies. I'm working on rest of the malware downloads/scans now. When they say reboot in safe mode, how do I do that? (Figured I'd ask so I wouldn't mess anything up.)

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
To reboot into safe mode, restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.