Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry Backup

• Please log in to reply

Akuji

Akuji

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Im sitting here wondering what happens when you merge a registry backup? Does it fix problems youre experiencing now since its a backup before problems arose? If it does, what are the steps one should take when doing the merge process? Should I backup all the stuff I have on my pc before I even try it? Or is it one of those things that you can do and just restart your pc without no problems? Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time and effort in explaining this to me. Its much appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to my knowledge (i could be wrong) the only thing a reg merge does...is replace deleted keys....it won't replace key's that are already there...or remove new bad ones/corrupted ones...

a better sollution for registry backup is to use #1 system restore (though...that can be corrupted or broken..) #2 download a program called erunt (google it) that makes an emergency copy of your registry and can replace the regestry in it's entirety from this backup..instead of just merging...