Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless AND ethernet LAN problems

• Please log in to reply

lucky_luc

lucky_luc

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I'm having two problems right now, some virus (mostly spyware, i think) problems and some networking problems. I know seperate issues should be posted seperately, so I did post the virus problem under that category on Geeks2Go, but I thought I should mention it since few problems are ever completely isolated from others.

I actually have a number of related network problems, and though I am at least computer literate I'm afraid I am just missing a simple step or misunderstanding the things computers are telling me.

I am about to move AND I just got a MacBook Pro. My girlfriend has had a Compaq presario 700 (laptop) and also just not a new Dell Inspiron to replace that old one. I am planning on giving my PC to my sister once I am fully enabled with the Mac (she has a '94 Packard Bell, it runs like a sick turtle). Both of us are frantically trying to transfer data and other things between computers as well as have the internet available to my girlfriend when she's in the house.

All PC's run on XP and all Macs run on the latest OS X.

We have a wireless network in the house that works fairly well, but the combination of many PCs of various quality, an eMac, and a MacBook Pro, it's a bit of a mess.

1st problem: I can get online (wirelessly) with both the MacBook and my PC, but they don't completely see each other. My PC does not see the MacBook at all (even though it DOES see the eMac, I'm not sure how we made that happen a long time ago, but it was a problem too). The MacBook appears to see my PC (most of te time, it actually doesn't right this moment), but when I try to sign into it with a username and password (which is blank) it tells me the alias does not exist. I don't understand. (Also, I don't think that the MacBook and my sister's packard bell see each other either).

2nd problem: I've also tried to connect the two afore-mentioned computers in a 2-comp ethernet LAN. Doesn't work at all.

3rd: Can't get my girlfriends Inspiron on the wireless network. Her old laptop does not have a wireless card (yet it might be nice to set up the network so that her old laptop (the presario) is connected to her Inspiron with ethernet in a way that they can both access the wireless network (and, therefore, the internet, too)). The inspiron confuses me a lot. It has an intel wireless "system", i guess., that I don't completely know how to work. It also claims to have 2 other non-wireless connections when ethernet is plugged in. I don't remember the names or the oddities of thos right now, because the computer is off and I need to hurry up so I can get back to work on the family's move.

I think that covers most of the problems in general. I also know that I haven't given enough specifics for you to properly diagnose most of those (I attached a Hijack This Log encase you wanted it right away), but I would like you to tell me what information would be best to start with. A friendly reminder: I do have those virus problems on my PC, so I'll be working with someone else from G2G on those, and I suppose there's a slight chance that my attempts to solve either set of problems may interfere with the other. Thanks a lot to whoever offers help!

Advertisements

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi and welcome to G2G. I think its best that we wait untill you have a clean bill of health from malware guys. For the second problem if I understand it correctly you will need cross over cables. Be advised that this type of connection sucks. I have never been able to get one to work the way I really want it too. Its a whole lot easier to establish a true network with a router. Then to use cross over cables.

lucky_luc

lucky_luc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
hmm, i guess it's a silly idea to assume that connecting 2 computers with gigabit ethernet should work as a good connection. i'll re-post this topic once the rest is figured out. thanks for the comment.