My firewall is McAfee and it is up to date.
Here's the behaviour:
Even though I turn off pop up blocker when I bring up a page with a pop-up I get a notification that a pop-up window was blocked in the status bar. A sound notification is also played but then the icon that tells me about blocked pop-ups says "Pop-ups were not blocked". However, despite these conflicting messages the pop-ups are indeed blocked.
Then when the page attempts to complete loading I get an "error on page" on my status bar. Consistently the error details are "The callee (server, not server application) is not available and has disappeared; all connections are invalid. Call did not execute."
The issue is that it is blocking all pop-ups including sites where the pop-ups are a necessary operation of the site.
To try to resolve this issue I have:
- turned off pop-up blocker
- run all available spyware/malware apps I have (Spybot, Ad-Aware SE)
- run a clean-up utility to clean up all temp files etc.
- followed all instructions on microsoft website to restore all my security settings to the initial "default" settings on Internet Explorer
- ran the system file checker utility to ensure I had all required protected microsoft files
Nothing I have done so far has corrected the issue.