Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pop Up Blocker behaving strangely

• Please log in to reply

diamond girl

diamond girl

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I run Internet Explorer on Windows XP. My version is 6.0 and I have installed all available service packs.

My firewall is McAfee and it is up to date.

Here's the behaviour:

Even though I turn off pop up blocker when I bring up a page with a pop-up I get a notification that a pop-up window was blocked in the status bar. A sound notification is also played but then the icon that tells me about blocked pop-ups says "Pop-ups were not blocked". However, despite these conflicting messages the pop-ups are indeed blocked.

Then when the page attempts to complete loading I get an "error on page" on my status bar. Consistently the error details are "The callee (server, not server application) is not available and has disappeared; all connections are invalid. Call did not execute."

The issue is that it is blocking all pop-ups including sites where the pop-ups are a necessary operation of the site.

To try to resolve this issue I have:

- turned off pop-up blocker
- run all available spyware/malware apps I have (Spybot, Ad-Aware SE)
- run a clean-up utility to clean up all temp files etc.
- followed all instructions on microsoft website to restore all my security settings to the initial "default" settings on Internet Explorer
- ran the system file checker utility to ensure I had all required protected microsoft files

Nothing I have done so far has corrected the issue.

Any tips???

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you turn off the windows popup blocker? or the norton popupblocker? i would assume you would need to turn off both (also..if you have any toolbars like the google toolbar or yahoo toolbar..those have popup blockers as well)

diamond girl

diamond girl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Okay I DID find two other toolbars that I honestly didn't even know were there (Yahoo and Google) because they were tucked away on the top of my screen. I removed both of them completely from my PC.

However I STILL have an issue with some pages that don't display pictures. All I get is that little square with the red X in it and even if I try to manually display the picture with my right mouse menu, I don't see the picture.

Help????

(Oh and btw...are there browsers that are less of a problem?)))

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
depends on your deffinition of "problem"....you could try firefox or opera (firefox is the browser of choice for linux lovers and also for people who just hate i.e., opera is gaining strength and is a very light browser...it's pretty speedy) both are free and both work well if you configure them correctly....
the picture display may be some form of security setting...but i dont' know which