Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Problem!

• Please log in to reply

hulud

hulud

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
hello... on my windows xp laptop i am having some display issues all of a sudden.

i took some pictures, hopefully they will explain better than i can, but basically the colors seem to be inverted or something - the Windows load screen is white with black tests...the login screen is very orange... on the desktop - windows default display - blue is orange, the grass is blue.

i am thinking that the video card is fried or something, but wasnt sure if i would get an error... i checked device manager and there are no markers to suggest anything is wrong or working incorrectly.

here are the pics i took (sorry, best i could do)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

can anyone suggest more things i can try to get this fixed... or possibly confirm my suspicions...

thanks!

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
This may not be possible, but if you happen to have an extra laptop video card lying around that you wouldn't mind poping into your computer, you could see if thats the problem. Or, more possible than the previous suggestion, if your laptop has a VGA out port, and you have another monitor from a desktop computer, try pluggin that in and checking to see if it still hapens. If not then the problem most likely lies in your laptop's screen. I highly doubt its a software problem, since you get the strange colors before windows even loads. so thats a plus... maybe! :whistling:

Are there any beep codes when you boot up the computer, and also, does the computer seem to run normally, other than the discoloration? Or does it get choppy or somthing? And lastly, check to see how hot your laptop usually gets, because if it is getting too hot, that might have scewed the video card, and thus cause you get the discoloration without an error.

--Chris

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The first thing to do is download video drivers from the makers website and reinstall them. Read the instructions carefully to reinstall the drivers. You may have to delete the original drivers before installing new ones. Usually if that does not work your video hardware is going bad. This can be expensive to replace on a laptop as usually you must send the laptop to the manufacturer to fix that.

SRX660

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

This may not be possible, but if you happen to have an extra laptop video card lying around that you wouldn't mind poping into your computer, you could see if thats the problem. Or, more possible than the previous suggestion, if your laptop has a VGA out port, and you have another monitor from a desktop computer, try pluggin that in and checking to see if it still hapens. If not then the problem most likely lies in your laptop's screen. I highly doubt its a software problem, since you get the strange colors before windows even loads. so thats a plus... maybe! :whistling:

Are there any beep codes when you boot up the computer, and also, does the computer seem to run normally, other than the discoloration? Or does it get choppy or somthing? And lastly, check to see how hot your laptop usually gets, because if it is getting too hot, that might have scewed the video card, and thus cause you get the discoloration without an error.

--Chris

i dont have an extra laptop video card unfortunately. i did have a vga out and hooked it up to another monitor and i do not have the color issues on the monitor i hooked it up to. there are no beep codes when i boot up, and the computer does seem to run normally other than the discoloration, no choppiness. the pc does seem to run quite hot a lot of the time i notice.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Well, since you dont have the same color problem with the other monitor, I would believe that the problem lies with your laptop's screen. I would first try updating the drivers for the card first, (but I doubt that's the problem since it runs fine on the other monitor, but hey, its a heck of a lot cheaper to do that first!) So far as the screen, my only suggestion is to take it to someone that can either fix monitors, or (more likely) contact the manufacturere and get it repaired. So far as the heat aspect, a good rule of thumb is if the computer is too hot to touch, then its too hot. try setting it on a hard surface while running it, (like a desk), and make sure the surrounding climate is not too hot (like the rooom its in, no direct sunlight, etc.)

--Chris

PS. Let me know if you get it fixed, if you dont mind, or if you find another solution, I would like to know.

Edited by cheathawk1, 13 June 2006 - 06:33 PM.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
^^^

Check all those things but first !

What does windows desktop look like when you are all loaded up ? Are there any other color problems or is that the only probelm ? Also are you running any Windows XP Themes ?

There are downloadable themes that will change boot screens and such ...