Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Home Edition, SP2

• Please log in to reply

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I did a search for Windows XP Home Edition Safe Mode, Windows XP safe mode, then just Safe Mode, and would get this message: Sorry, we could not find any help topics that matched your search criteria, please try again

In any event, I have Windows XP Home Edition, SP2, and IE6, SP2.

When I am in safe mode, under my name, there are not a search and a run area. Example, I had wanted to search for Windows Media Player 11, as I had uninstalled it, and wanted to make sure everything was gone (after I had deleted it from Program folder, and did other searches for it in normal mode, as it was not in the Add/Remove.) In safe mode, the task bar is wide—and I cannot resize it-- and the font is large. Yet, if I go to safe mode under Administrator, the task bar is the normal size and so is the font, and the search and run are there, and I can use them. How can I get Safe Mode to be the same, under my name, as it is in Administrator? :whistling:

Thanks much. :blink:

Anna Ruth

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
could it be as simple as the search and run commands being off the screen?

Right click on your desktop in safe mode, choose PROPERTIES, choose the SETTINGS tab, and then slide teh RESOLUTION bar to MORE

you should have at least two settings in safe mode 640x480 and 800x600

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

could it be as simple as the search and run commands being off the screen?

Right click on your desktop in safe mode, choose PROPERTIES, choose the SETTINGS tab, and then slide teh RESOLUTION bar to MORE

you should have at least two settings in safe mode 640x480 and 800x600

Thank you, Gerry, for your reply. Hope I am answering in the right box. :whistling:

Anyway, I went to Safe Mode, and under my name, went to Settings. There are five settings: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, and 1600x1200. I tried each setting, applied and then okay. Nothing changed. Font and task bar still quite large and no search and run. When I would go back to check the settings each time, it was always set at 640x480. Would never change. I went to the Appearance tab and the font is set to Normal.

I restarted the computer and went to Safe Mode again, and chose Administrator. There the settings are at 640x480. There, I also tried different sizes, as above, but it would stay the same size. Yet the task bar and font are fine there.

I restarted the computer again, and went to Settings which is set at 1024x768. There are only two settings there: 800x600 and 1024x768. Just for the heck of it, I tried to change it to 800x600 and got a message to the effect if I wanted to, and I said No. So that seems to be working okay.

I have had the computer just a year now. It was a present for my 71st birthday, but wish (if wishes were horses..... :blink:) it could have been an HP. Have had many problems with this one. I did a clean install about a month ago using the Dell Resinstallation CD. When finished, I had two operating systems, both the same one Windows XP Home Edition, SP2. When I would choose one of them, it took me right to the desktop. When I would choose the other one, it gave me choices of either booting from the CD or the hard drive. So, that was not right, to get two OS's. In desperation, I then used the Dell Software Restoration CDs, which took me back to how it was when I originally received it. Even since then, I have had to do several system restores because of problems. One was my fault, as I had installed Incredimail and it messed up my computer.

Never understand why I have so many problems (like this Safe Mode one). I scan and defrag on a regular basis. I have several antispywares that I use (the online ones) in addition to the one that is with my DSL Verizon Yahoo. I have Ad-Aware, Spybot, and others. Plus, in addition to my antivirus that I have with my DSL, I use online antivirus scanners, too.

Okay, you are probably tired of reading this and I am tired as it is 12:50 AM.

Do you have any other suggestions, other than throwing it in the river? :help:

Thanks much, Anna Ruth

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
anna...welcome back...and congrats on getting the quote function down!

when in safe mode try pressing the windows key (the one with the little windows icon) and the f key at the same time...does the search function load up?

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

when in safe mode try pressing the windows key (the one with the little windows icon) and the f key at the same time...does the search function load up?

Oh, Joy! Joy! I did something right! :blink:

Went into Safe Mode and pressed Windows key and f key at same time. The search function did show up. BUT, the only choice given to me was: Pictures, Music, or Video. When I pressed that, all I got was Back and Search buttons, but no space to type in anything. I pushed the Search button and it brought up one of my Pictures folders. In the Search area now, was only the button Stop. I pressed that button, and it took me to various choices - documents, all files and folders, etc. I pressed All Files nd Folders, and it took me to the buttons Back and Start again!

Then when I would try to close Search Results, it brought up another screen - the one that gives Search choices. Task Manager showed nine search results running. Under Applications tab, tried to end task, but would not end. Finally, from the Task Bar, I was able to end all of them.

I want my Mommy! :help:

Besides trying to look out after myself, I am a caretaker for an older brother, and do not have the time for all these computer problems. On my old computer, I had had 98, 98 second edition, and Windows XP Professional. Never had so much trouble as this computer has had. Some how I do something wrong, and I have no idea what it is. I do add to my computer to make it more amusing to me. Like, when it shuts down, I have Arnold Scharzenegger saying "Hasta LaVista Baby" And when I empty the Recycle Bin, it plays part of the Hallelujah chorus, which is funny. But also, I do keep it up with the regular scans, defrags, antispyware, antivirus checks, etc.

Maybe I better try to do a clean install AGAIN, and hope I do not get two operating systems again (I got two Windows XP Home Editions, SP2). I have backed up all that I need. I would not do it, though, for a few days, as so time-consuming.

What do you think? :whistling:

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Oh, Joy! Joy! I did something right! :blink:

Went into Safe Mode and pressed Windows key and f key at same time. The search function did show up. BUT, the only choice given to me was: Pictures, Music, or Video. When I pressed that, all I got was Back and Search buttons, but no space to type in anything. I pushed the Search button and it brought up one of my Pictures folders. In the Search area now, was only the button Stop. I pressed that button, and it took me to various choices - documents, all files and folders, etc. I pressed All Files nd Folders, and it took me to the buttons Back and Start again!

Then when I would try to close Search Results, it brought up another screen - the one that gives Search choices. Task Manager showed nine search results running. Under Applications tab, tried to end task, but would not end. Finally, from the Task Bar, I was able to end all of them.

I want my Mommy! :help:

Besides trying to look out after myself, I am a caretaker for an older brother, and do not have the time for all these computer problems. On my old computer, I had had 98, 98 second edition, and Windows XP Professional. Never had so much trouble as this computer has had. Some how I do something wrong, and I have no idea what it is. I do add to my computer to make it more amusing to me. Like, when it shuts down, I have Arnold Scharzenegger saying "Hasta LaVista Baby" And when I empty the Recycle Bin, it plays part of the Hallelujah chorus, which is funny. But also, I do keep it up with the regular scans, defrags, antispyware, antivirus checks, etc.

Maybe I better try to do a clean install AGAIN, and hope I do not get two operating systems again (I got two Windows XP Home Editions, SP2). I have backed up all that I need. I would not do it, though, for a few days, as so time-consuming.

What do you think? :whistling:

P.S. I notice that in my Add/Remove programs, I have Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and a Hot Fix for it. I do not need this, do I?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...well...sort of you do...the dotnet framework is pretty important for alot of windows applications and what not..

i just read your original post and i see where your original problem was...you did infact uninstall windows media player 11 incorrectly...wmp11 is techincally an update to wmp10 (or 9 whatever you had before) so to actually remove it you would go to add/remove software and tick the show update buttons....there will be (down towards the bottom) a windows media player 11 and windows media player 11 runtime...you uninstall those two..and you're back to wmp10 (or 9..whatever)....why your search isn't working in safe mode...i don't know

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

yeah...well...sort of you do...the dotnet framework is pretty important for alot of windows applications and what not..

i just read your original post and i see where your original problem was...you did infact uninstall windows media player 11 incorrectly...wmp11 is techincally an update to wmp10 (or 9 whatever you had before) so to actually remove it you would go to add/remove software and tick the show update buttons....there will be (down towards the bottom) a windows media player 11 and windows media player 11 runtime...you uninstall those two..and you're back to wmp10 (or 9..whatever)....why your search isn't working in safe mode...i don't know

Okay, thank you. Now I know how to correctly uninstall Windows Media Player if I need to. I just went to Add/Remove and checked the Show Updates box. My Windows Media Player now is Windows Media Player 10, and Windows Media Format Runtime. So, that is okay.

I will not worry about the Safe Mode. Will redo Windows when I can. Thanks so much for your help. It is beddy bye now. So tired. And it is only 8:30 PM. :whistling:

There are updates to the dotnet framework, so guess I should get those sometime. Thanks again.