Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Second hard drive not recognised by PC

• Please log in to reply

jamesthepage

jamesthepage

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi All

I am new to using forums so apologies if I am not doing it quite right!

I fitted a second (Maxtor) hard drive into my PC. Although it can be seen by the Device Manager, it does not show up as a drive in my computer. The dive has a picture of the jumpers and says that no jumpers = slave so that is what I did. Shouldn’t the bios recognise the drive automatically?

Many thanks
Allan

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. If you have set the jumpers according to the guide posted right on the drive, it is correct. You can check the bios and see if the drive is detected, but you already said it shows in device manager. It has to be detected to get there. The reason it does not show up in my computer is because the drive needs to be formatted. Go to start, my computer right click manage, disk management and format the drive.

jamesthepage

jamesthepage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi and thank you for the information. All was going well, I could see the drive in Disk Management, I initialised it but there was no option to format. Any ideas?

Thanks Allan

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
right click my computer>manage>Disk management, it will show ur hard drive, but you have to format it, right click on it and click on new partition, choose primary partition and then everything is self explanatory, oh and btw u want to format it NTSF, and when you pick how much you want to partition just type in maximum, and you can keep it as free space. then check my computer and it should be there.

-Aslan

Edited by Tru Techie, 19 June 2006 - 12:04 PM.

kozxmartt

kozxmartt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi...
i've got almost the same problem. my hard disk got corrupted and the computer does not start. the hard disk is not being recognised at all. so what i did was i bought a new hard disk, put it on master and the corrupted one on slave. Now the problem is that the device manager recognised the hard disk, but it does not show on my computer. i tried the thing you mentioned but the hard disk is not listed there. can you plz plz tell me what to do?
Thanks,
Erik

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You could try running the hd manufacturer's diagnostics program on the drive. There are links to most of diagnostics at http://forums.pcper....isplay.php?f=40 See the 2nd sticy post at the top of the forum.