Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with XP updates

• Please log in to reply

rtullier

rtullier

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Computer:
Dell Dimension 4600
purchased Jan, 2004
XP Pro

After removing an infection I ran the "repair" option for XP. After doing that I figured I needed the updates that were maybe wiped during the whole process. The updates stopped at "WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe" so I downloaded and installed manually. This seemed to work. The next series began installing and it got hrough several updates but failed on "NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe". It went through a few more and then exited the update process. I tried the manual process but got the same error.

I got the error windows in the attached file.

What next?

Thanks for your help,
rtullier

Attached Thumbnails

• screen.JPG

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Go to control panel > add/remove applet and remove anything with NET FRAMEWORK 1 in it.

Then try the manual install

Your issue oftne occured when people tried to install the net framework sp1 version over the beta version

Given your description, it seems unlikely you installed the beta, but just in case there is an issue with framework 1.0, see if that works

rtullier

rtullier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Attempted the remove and got the error in the attached file. The add/remove app indicated NET Framework 1.1 is on the machine.

The "Windows Installer" manual update, done previously, did not report any errors.

Do the updates have to go in a certain order? After the installer failed from the Microsoft site, I think maybe one or two more updates may have completed before it terminated. After the manual 'installer' install, I went back to the site and attempted to continue. The NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe failed, but again one or two more may have completed before it terminated.

Would the out of order installing cause trouble?

Thanks for your help,
rtullier

Attached Thumbnails

• screen.JPG

Edited by rtullier, 14 June 2006 - 11:53 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi rtullier...

Try the suggestions in this Microsoft Article. It would appear to address this known issue with installing NetFramework.

wannabe1

rtullier

rtullier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
When I ran 'installer' from 'Start/run' it did not have anything in its list so I could not complete the process from the link you included.

I went to the 'WINDOWS' folder and found c:\$NtUninstallKB893803\spuninst\spuninst.exe and ran that. It seemed to remove 'installer'. Having the WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe file already downloaded, I ran that and got the errors in the attached file. It backed out the install and re-booted.

I tried that a couple of times with no luck.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
rtullier

Attached Thumbnails

• screen.JPG

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Look in Add or Remove Programs. In the list or hotfixes and security patches, is KB886904 listed?

rtullier

rtullier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
No.

Should I load it? Sorry for not being there to respond last night.

Thanks,
rtullier

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No...that one can cause the same problem we've got now.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd and press "Enter".

At the prompt in the Command Window, type each of the following commands, pressing "Enter" after each one:
  • net stop wuauserv
  • net stop bits
  • rmdir /s /q %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
  • sc config wuauserv start=auto
  • sc config bits start=auto
  • regsvr32.exe msxml.dll
  • regsvr32.exe msxml2.dll
  • regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
  • regsvr32.exe msxml4.dll
  • regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll
  • regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll
  • regsvr32.exe muweb.dll
  • regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll
  • regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
  • regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll
  • regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
  • regsvr32.exe wups.dll
  • regsvr32.exe wups2.dll
  • regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll
  • net start wuauserv
  • net start bits
  • regsvr32 jscript.dll
Then try to install the updates again.

rtullier

rtullier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I pasted the commands in a batch file and ran it. Everything worked except for the "msxml4.dll" command. The file did not exist. I downloaded it but then gave up and re-installed XP from scratch.

Interesting results:
Microsoft Office was wiped clean.
All other software remained intact; except, of course, for the registry data.

Why would it wipe Microsoft products but leave everything else? No answer needed, just curious.

Many thanks for your help.

rtullier

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
why would what wipe everything? A clean install? If all other programs remain, then you did not do a clean install--repair, perhaps is what you meant?