Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG/Ewido (Free) VS. Norton/Mcafee ($$$$$) An

• Please log in to reply

vettegofast

vettegofast

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
My mother-in-law is going to purchase a computer from circuit city or best buy. They told her she needed to pay $180 to have them install Mcafee or Notron AV/Spyware/Firewall on her computer.

I have been using AVG/Zone Alarm/Ad-aware combinations to keep Malware off my pc's and I have no problems.

Best buy told her having AVG free is like not having an AV at all.

I am an ISP network admin and I have end users calling me every week that they are having internet/email trouble or their PC is running bad. Alot of times it has to do with Mcafee or Norton.

SO whats your opinion? Are they just trying to make more money or is free "you get what you pay for"?

Edited by vettegofast, 13 June 2006 - 07:01 PM.

Advertisements

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts

Best buy told her having AVG free is like not having an AV at all.

They are full of themselves and want the exorbitant amount of money they charge for loading those programs. :whistling:

In my opinion, AVG free is a very good anti-virus program. I would recommend it over Norton or McAfee anyday. Of course that is just my opinion. I do remove malware from computers on a daily basis so that opinion was not formed without reason. :blink:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah, AVG and Avast are usually the two most popular free AVs, and consistently in product reviews for AV ability they beat norton and mcaffee time after time. And they are free.

They arent a intrusive as norton and mcaffee, both can cause problems if not set up properly or they encounter something unexpected.

vettegofast

vettegofast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks for the replies. I will have her buy it without the Norton and use AVG. I also go to trendmicro.com and run housecall once in awhile to be sure im free of malware. I havent had anything yet. I also find Norton to be a memory hog on the PC.

LUEshi

LUEshi

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I like Avast more than all of them. If you want to pay for a really good AV, NOD32 is the best IMO.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Avast is my preference, it gets rated higher than AVG usually because its a more polished piece of software it looks good and has alot of features, AVG is a good AV but it can be a bit sparse on the nice little extras.

Biggest bit of polish is skin support gotta love the star trek TNG skin.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I would say I like avast as well. It has a better interface than avg.

Ewido rocks. not free either. free version only lasts for 2 weeks.

From experience I have used ewido and avast to clean up severly infected systems.