Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crusty Old Bloke or some other expert...come help me!

• Please log in to reply

rainbo

rainbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I do have one nearby and I'll do that. Thanks!! :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just as a note here....if you followed the full instructions properly to use the mpvs hosts file then you can use the steps below to reverse those changes

[Removal Instructions]
In the event you do not wish to continue using the MVPS HOSTS file, you can simply delete the
existing HOSTS file and rename HOSTS.MVP to HOSTS (no 3-letter extension)
Note: none of the included files make any changes to the Registry or install any additional
files to the Operating System.

you didn't really mention what "problems" occured immediately...but i would assume you were having web pages that wouldn't load and such (which...is kind of the point of that mvps file to begin with)

rainbo

rainbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I didn't do anything yet. I came back to tell you guys something, but first, let me post this picture to show you what happened when I tried to rename the file. I figured that'd be easier than trying to do the other things that have been suggested, plus I don't think I'm going to be able to do what has been suggested anyway. Here's the pic. Any other suggestions before I go any further?

I'm sorry for being such a pain. :whistling:

Attached Thumbnails

• 4493739f.jpg
  • 449376d8.jpg

Edited by rainbo, 17 June 2006 - 02:35 AM.

rainbo

rainbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
449376d8.jpg Posting one more picture in case I'm not doing something correctly.

rainbo

rainbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Good news and bad news. Good news is that I have fixed the page can not be displayed errors. Thank goodness! I did this and it worked perfectly.

To determine whether the problem is caused by entries in Hosts files, look for Hosts files on the local computer, and then rename all the Hosts files that you find. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files and Folders.
2. In the All or part of the file name box, type hosts.
3. In the Look in list, click the hard disk, and then click Search.
4. Click all the Hosts files that are found. If more than one Hosts file is found, select them all.
5. Press F2.
6. Type a new name. For example, type oldhosts, and then press ENTER.
Make a note of the new file name. You may have to change the name back if this does not resolve the issue.

I did the Windows Repair as you suggested in this thread, and I also ran the critical updates from the microsoft.com site BUT now I have new problems. When my computer reboots, it takes forever and a day for Windows to start up where it use to take about 20 seconds. Now, it's taking anywhere from 3-5 minutes. Norton is also loading very slow. Is there anything I can do to make it work like it did before the repair? I also thought about restoring my computer to a point prior to the repair, but it took all those away in the repair. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining at all. I just want the speed that I had before.

Another issue: Outlook Express is blocking ALL attachments and URL's from coming in, and I can't figure out how to make it so that it will accept URL's at least.

Lastly, I've been having problems where Internet Explored encounters an issue and needs to shut down. When that happens, my computer doesn't reboot, but I lose all items except for my clock and my Norton icon. This didn't happen at all before today.

I feel like the problems are slowly but surely getting sorted out. It's just going to take a bit more tweaking and I have no experience in that department. :whistling:

Thank you in advance for the help that you'll give. You guys do NOT get the credit you deserve.

Coming back to add more: I've installed probably 30-40 microsoft updates today but these two just won't happen. I keep getting a failed/unsuccessful error message. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Microsoft Windows XP
Windows XP Service Pack 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remaining High-Priority Updates
Your computer might be at risk until you install all high-priority updates. These updates help protect against security threats and performance problems.

Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3, English Version

Edited by rainbo, 18 June 2006 - 06:57 PM.