Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot boot computer

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm glad you haven't lost any important files. I don't suppose you have an extra HDD hanging around? :whistling:

Advertisements

Ellie 2

Ellie 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
hi wannabe1
no i dont have a extra HDD sorry
thanks elaine

Ellie 2

Ellie 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi Wannabe 1
I was just wondering if it is possible that I can fix my pc. Or do I have to take it to someone to be fixed.:whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That would all depend on how comfortable you are working inside your computer. The bad HDD will have to be replaced, which is not overly difficult, and it will then have to be formatted and the operating system installed.

If you fell comfortable doing this, I will be more than happy to help you with the process.

Ellie 2

Ellie 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi
is there anything I need to buy and replace for this?
Elaine

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just a new Hard Drive...it should come with all you need, except the screw driver... :whistling:

Ellie 2

Ellie 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi Wannabe 1
where do I have to get this ? and can a complete computer novice like me be trusted to do this :whistling:
Elaine

Edited by Ellie 2, 27 June 2006 - 01:44 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I usually purchase hard drives either from a local office supply store (Staples) or my favorite local computer store depending on the drive I want. There are also several good online suppliers like newegg.com or tigerdirect.com that have them available at a reasonable price.

If your machine is a laptop, I would take it in for the replacement. It it's a desktop, the hardest part may be getting the case open...it's actually quite easy once you get into the case.

Ellie 2

Ellie 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi wannabe 1
Cannot thank you enough for all your help. I got a result tonight I found my receipt for the computer and without my knowledge my husband had it covered for repairs untill 2009 :whistling: .
But when I phoned the helpdesk I went through everything that I had done to try to get it working and told her it was the HDD, after going through a couple of questions she said. "It's definately the HDD". So at least thanks to your help I didn't have to go through some lengthy telephone call just to get them to come and pick up the computer and take it away.

Thankyou
Elaine

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure, Elaine. Great news on the extended warranty! :whistling:

Advertisements